Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Holy Shortness!

Every little girl loves to get her hair done, ri-ight? [uncontrollable laughter . . . composing myself]

Yes, well, most little girls have to be threatened or bribed to get their hair brushed or styled, and Annalee is no exception. She's usually pretty good about it unless their are lots of tangles, or dried food . . . which is pretty much always. So it doesn't get brushed every day because I'm lazy. And her bangs haven't been cut in a long time because (see previous sentence). But at her eye appointment the other day, Dr. Porter warned me that the long bangs she sweeps to the side and lets hang over one eye could act like a patch and cause her to stop seeing in that eye. THAT got my attention right away, and I swore to cut them the next day.

The willing victim (thanks to a lollipop):


Please notice the curls. I was so disappointed when she wasn't born with curls. And even though she has curls at the ends now that it's grown out, the rest of her hair stubbornly refuses to participate in curliness.

Loooong hair. Hmmm. I suddenly decided that since she was getting a haircut anyway, she may as well get her "first" haircut. You know, the one where you save some of their hair for the baby book.

So I made a little pony tail, pulled it down low and loose . . .

Ack! Holy shortness! I didn't know it was going to be that short!

Ahem. Well.

Guess there's nothing to do but go with it.

The victim loves it! (I know it looks like one side is shorter, but I promise it's not. It's just dry on one side and wet on the other.)

Side view

The back. All the curls are gone! (sniffle)

Changed into a hair-free shirt and sporting barrettes.

I have to admit it was a little shocking at first, but now I really like it. (Nathan took a full day to get used to it. Then he said, "Wow, she has a lot of hair! Once we cut off the straggly end, the hair that was left was quite thick.) She doesn't look like a toddler anymore!


And just for fun, I still have the ponytail from my first haircut next to Annalee's. (There's a lot more hair there because my mom didn't cut my hair until I was a lot older.)

5 comments:

Jackson Family said...

check out both of your curly locks! Hair cuts always make your child look more grown up, don't they?

Koreena said...

Cute! You're so brave! I don't think I could cut Jossy's hair that short. I love those curly locks side by side.

Keri said...

That looks cute! I love bobs on little girls. I love the curls in both yours and Annalee's hair, too.

Anonymous said...

very cute!

The Peine Family said...

Oh, you'll be so glad you wrote about this someday. Sigh...I hope we have a girl someday.