Monday, November 9, 2015

Babby Farms

A friend of ours runs a daycare and preschool and often invites us along on field trips. I don't always have money or time to go, but the deal they got to Babby Farms was a steal! It's normally $10 per person but we got in for $2.50 each! Babby Farms is mostly a petting zoo but they also have some nonpet-ables that are interesting, like some wild cats and otters.

Nathan loooooves zoos and animals and was very bummed that he had to work that day. (We were too.) I invited a lady I visit teach, Mary Jeanne, to join us and fun was had by all.

I called ahead to make sure the farm was wheelchair-accessible, and was assured it was. Well, that's a matter of opinion. There are cement sidewalks leading everywhere with dirt on either side. There were a lot of us there with strollers so we couldn't just stop and block the sidewalk. We would pull off into the dirt and sometimes it was a struggle to get back on, especially for this pregnant mamma! But I'm so glad she came. It was fun to have her there.




They had all kinds of rare breeds of cows (like a sacred cow from India) as well as goats, sheep, yaks, ponies, etc.

Bags of seed to feed the animals were pretty inexpensive.



I think the ferrets were the biggest hit!

 
But the kangaroo enclosure was my favorite. They let everyone just wander around inside with the red kangaroos and wallabies!

Unfortunately, but that time we had already been there over 2 hours and it was a hot, HOT day. I was utterly spent and trying not to pass out. I told the kids it was time to go before they'd had very long with the roos (and hadn't even seen the sheep or whatever was in the last pen.) But I HAD TO GO. There was a lot of whining and we made it back to the car and the AC. Mary Jeanne bought us lunch at McDonalds. The kids even got Happy Meals, the spoiled brats!

The most exciting thing that happened was when we saw the camels. The employee warned us that one of them liked to bite. I decided that I didn't want to be near a stinky camel anyway, so I powered on through, pushing the wheelchair past the pen. Only, I didn't realize how big the pen was. The dromedary left the crowd at the other end and came to where I was standing on the sidewalk, within easy reach. The first I knew of it was a very hard, very painful bite on the tender backside of my upper arm, followed immediately by the shouting and shoving of the employee, who had seen what the Meany was up to but not been fast enough to head him off. Ow, ow, ow! It brought tears to my eyes, it hurt so bad! It stopped hurting soon after, but with the heat and my exhaustion it was hard to stop crying once I'd started. Sometimes pregnancy is really annoying and embarrassing!

1 comment:

Koreena said...

Bit by a camel?! OUCH!!! I hate those times when I KNOW we need to go but it still takes forever to get everyone to the car and back home.