Friday, February 22, 2008

The Long-Awaited Pregnant Pics

What is it about being pregnant that makes me want to run from every camera? Oh yeah, the fat part. Just kidding, I actually feel pretty good about how I look because I have an excuse to be fat! But I've noticed that pregnant women rarely get very many pictures taken. Maybe it's just that we never get around to it. Also, at certain times during pregnancy I've been between sizes, which is pretty annoying and unflattering. I think I am on the verge of another growth spurt and will have to say goodbye to this lovely red number. Speaking of maternity clothes, who was the genius that decided that since pregnant women have more of everything, they'd want to show it off? Nearly all of the maternity clothes I've seen are low-cut and revealing. Thank goodness for long undershirts, like the white one you can see in the next picture. I got it at Downeast Outfitters. Contrary to the impression I may have given in an earlier post, my bare belly is not something I want to show off. (That great pregnant belly picture on December 7th is just one I found on the internet.)
So, here I am at seven months, just two more to go! Although my shape has changed drastically, I am still the same weight I was before I got pregnant. This is due to me 1) starting out overweight and 2) being unable to eat anything except mashed potatoes from week 6 to week 14. (I lost a lot of weight.) Another pregnancy myth I would like to dispel (besides the Sandi's-naked-belly-myth) is that soda crackers are not the panacea of morning sickness. I can't count the number of times I had this conversation:
Friend: How are you feeling?
Me: Great, except I'm having a lot of morning sickness.
Friend: You should eat soda crackers.
Me: [vomiting sounds]
Okay, so I didn't actually throw up during the conversation. I reserved that act for when I actually ate soda crackers. Now, I'm not saying that crackers don't help some women, I'm just saying they didn't help me! No matter what I tried to eat, after a few times the baby would get bored with it and it would make me sick. This happened with oatmeal, pudding, cereal, crackers, and various other foods. Now even the thought of crackers turns my stomach. I even tried oatmeal the other day, after avoiding it for five months. It tasted great going down . . .
I've discovered that a lot of things about pregnancy are just different for every woman, so don't let anyone scare you with their horror stories; your experience will probably be different (for better or worse.) For another example, I haven't had to run to the bathroom very often, as I've heard many pregnant women do. Of course, this could be due to the fact that I haven't been drinking very much water. It gives me heartburn! Pretty pathetic, considering that water is probably the most benign substance on the planet. But there you are: every woman is different. In what ways has your pregnancy (or that of someone you've known) been strange and different? I'd love to hear some comments.

11 comments:

Rachel said...

cute pics Sandi, you're one cute pregnant lady. I can't believe you haven't even gained a pound...that's crazy!

Jessica Haddox said...

I didn't gain any weight with Hyrum either until I was at about 7months. And no, soda crackers didn't work for me either. Sometimes eating protein helped, sometimes it didn't. Applesause doesn't taset good the second time around. I found that, even though drinking water gave me heartburn also, it is better than having to go to the hospital for an IV when I got dehydrated. Also, don't let a hard pregnancy put you off from having more kids. I was incredibly sick with Hyrum for the entire 9 months, but only mildly so with Emily, and only for the first few months.

I'm so excited for you!! It's getting so close! I can't wait to go shopping for a gift for her/you. I LOVE shopping for baby clothes!!

Jessica Haddox said...

Oh, and very cute pictures. So adorable! You're braver than I am. I always ran from the camera. But you look so great!

M A Haddox said...

Jessica is correct... anything to keep you away from the hospital is a plus. I hear that they give you horrible life-size insect balloons. I'm electing the next president who doesn't believe in those.

Not only is every woman's pregnancy different, but different pregnencies for that woman is different too. I know this as during jessica's 1-3rd pregnancies, I had sympathy sickness. While she was pregnant with Em, however, I just didn't care. Minus side to that... I also lost my peculiar cravings when I lost interest in how many times Jay had to visit the restroom throughout the nights.

Sandi said...

Mike, you are a nut! You'd better vote for Clinton, then. I didn't hear anything in her government-run health plan about insect balloons. Those are only provided by dear friends.

Koreena said...

You look great! :) I agree about the maternity clothes: thank goodness for camisoles! Funny, water totally gives me heartburn this time too! My first pregnancy was a piece of cake until the last month or so when it just got REALLY uncomfortable. This one has been SOOOO different! Morning sickness, ligament pain, monster Braxton-Hicks since 16 weeks, bathroom trips all night, and the list goes on forever. Good thing I know all this will end in a few months!
I'm so excited you only have 2 months left! I can't wait to see pictures of your little girl!

ollie said...

You look great pregnant!!!! I loved being pregnant. I always felt so pretty. Then, I saw the pictures. LOL!!!! I seriously thought that I was the most beautiful pregnant woman on earth -- and then I saw the grossness that I had become. I guess when you don't fix your hair and only wear nasty baggy sweats you're bound to look a little off.

Heather said...

WOW you look fantastic...how exciting to be pregnant! Hopefully before too long I'll be following you in the quest for the beginning of our own family. I'm glad you took a pic or two because I agree the fuss is on the new baby and the new mommies kind of get avoided.

Keri said...

Sandi! Congrats on the upcoming little girl! You look great, too! Are you still living just a little north of us?

Keri said...

Yeah, we're in Spanish Fork. When did you move back to ID?

Danica said...

You look great pregnant! Only two more months to go! I wish I could say they'll fly but they will probibly the longest two months of your life! I am so excited for you. There is nothing like meeting that knew little person for the first time (and then taking it home with you!) Sorry you were so sick. That would be miserable. As long as I kept on eating all day long, I was fine.