Thursday, February 7, 2008

Um, I've had enough, thanks


I wonder if Noah felt this way on the Ark: When is it even going to stop?! Only, he got to deal with lots of water right away, while we have to deal with it in its solid form first, and then wait on the bitter promise that one of these days everything is going to melt and probably flood our garage and basement. This picture was taken a few days ago, but there is MUCH more snow now. It's been snowing every day, and all the weathermen can say is "more is on its way." We have a very nice neighbor with a snow blower that often does our sidewalk and the part of our driveway behind our car. So why are we complaining, you ask?

First of all, getting out of the driveway is not a guarantee of getting where you want to go, because first you have to use the roads. Our road is not, shall we say, high on the city's priority list. They finally got around to us yesterday, but the last time we saw them before that was right after Christmas. In the mean time over a foot of snow accumulated and made it difficult for poor little Saturns (and even hefty Buicks) to get around. We lost some plastic part off the bottom of Nathan's car at Christmas while we were waiting for the roads to become more manageable. (Hope it wasn't important.) In all fairness, I will say that the poor City has already exceeded its snow removal budget by $50,000 and all of the guys are probably working overtime.


Second of all, (we're talking about why I'm complaining, remember?) the sidewalk and back part of the driveway are not the only problems. Tavi may be able to jump really high, but he is not a tall dog. That means that he disappears into the snow drifts whenever he goes outside, and comes back in looking like the Abominable Snow Dog. He doesn't mind a bit as long as his purpose in going outside is to play, but when he just wants to use the "facilities" its a different story. The other day I watched him lift his leg to do his business and promptly fall over into the snow drift. The snow was too deep and he couldn't get his leg up high enough! It was hilarious to watch, but Tavi didn't think it was very funny. For about a week he refused to go outside and started having accidents in the house. When we tried to throw him outside he would dig his heels in and leave a yellow road that was not as nice as the one Dorothy and Scarecrow followed. Even after we started shoveling a path through our yard it took him a while to get over the idea that going outside was bad. So, now we shovel our driveway and grass too. Do you see a problem? Where do we put the bleeping white junk?! Please refer to the top picture again and notice the snow drift on the left. The one on the right is also quite high, but appears dwarfed by the one on the left. We have several more drifts: one blocking our garage door, one between the house and the garage, and one in our neighbor's driveway (since we share a driveway, the drift is in danger of flooding both of our houses). We just can't keep up!
I guess I should be thankful that we can still leave the house. My parents in Rigby are snowed in and waiting for a tractor to clear away the drifts so they can get to the road!

6 comments:

Jessica Haddox said...

Whenever I feel like complaining about the snow here, I just remember that you have it 10x worse there! Your poor little dog! I hope all is going well with you otherwise.

Rachel said...

That is a lot of snow, I remember that all to well both at Ricks, and in Lewiston. Your poor dog though. How is the pregnancy going?

M A Haddox said...

Treat your house like a castle... build a moat in the snow and trenches. Then create plenty of ammunition to snipe down un-suspecting neighbors or missionaries.

Also, make a lou for the dog with a drain hole that travels to your worst neighbors porch.

ollie said...

Sandi!!! I can't believe I found you! So I hope you remember me from Ricks... 'cause I sure remember you. In fact, I still have a song you composed for our Christmas choir we did for 12th ward in '99. Sheesh... has it been that long???? But yeah, I couldn't get rid of it because I loved it so much. Take care!

Sandi said...

Ollie! Of course I remember you! That was one of my favorite callings ever, I had so much fun. Do you have a blog or an email address? Mine is sandibeek@gmail.com. By the way, how did you find me/know it was me?
Your girls are so cute, they look a lot like you.

ollie said...

I found you through Danica's blog -- who I found through Amber's -- who I found through Keri's. Yikes, that was a lot! Anyway I have a blog and an email:

http://kentuckybacon.blogspot.com

and

okkelly@hotmail.com