Sunday, July 27, 2008

Andries van der Beek



My Grandpa van der Beek passed away on Friday. He had been suffering from congestive heart failure.


He was born in the Netherlands in 1917. He met his future wife and taught her the gospel so that she joined the Church. They had one son, and then World War II hit. During the war he had to hide from the Nazis so he wouldn't be forced into the military. There was little food, and sometimes they had to eat tulip bulbs. By the time his wife Simone gave birth to my father she weighed less than 100 lbs.


They moved to the U.S. in 1950 with their 10 year-old and 5 year-old. They worked many difficult labor-intensive jobs as they struggled to learn English and provide for their family. Andries eventually got a job as a custodian for School District 91, where "Andy" worked until he retired. They put both of their sons through college. In later years Andries volunteered every Wednesday at the Idaho Falls Temple cafeteria.

My favorite memories of Grandpa are of playing 40 (Dutch gin) and Pinnochle together. With his endearing Dutch accent he would say things like "Der she go mitt de aces!" and "Ya, I go set." As a teenager I got to go play cards with them once a month on "my Sunday." I even came home from college at BYU-Idaho whenever it was my week to go. He found out when I was 14 or 15 that I really liked orange juice, and after that he made a point of having the expensive not-from-concentrate orange juice on hand whenever he knew I was coming. Now that I live in Idaho Falls I've been able to go every Tuesday to play cards with him, and he still has my orange juice.

Grandma suffered from Parkinson's for as long as I knew her, and though the burden of care on my Grandpa was great, he never let it show. My mom visited one morning and Grandpa went to go wake up "Mamma," as he called her. He walked back into their bedroom, calling, "Gut Morning, Beautiful!" Grandma died in 2000. When I think of true love, I picture the scene of Grandpa laying a white rose on Grandma's casket at the graveside service.

I only knew Grandpa for a small part of his life, and as I look back through photographs now I realize that there was much about him that I don't know. But I'm glad that I got to be a part of his life. He was a kind, good man. He will be missed.

5 comments:

Keri said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like he lived quite a life & was a neat person. It makes me want to meet him!

Rachel said...

I'm sorry about your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man. I enjoyed reading your tribute.

Koreena said...

I'm sorry about your grandpa. He sounds like a wonderful man.

Jessica Haddox said...

I remember going with you to play cards one week. Your Grandma was still alive then. They were very kind to me. You all taught me a new game. I even remember the orange juice.

What a beautifully written life sketch. Seems you have even more reasons for tulips to be your favorite flower. My thoughts and condolences to you and your family.

Keri said...

Hey, we're taking our blog private. Will you stop by and comment with your email address so I can invite you?