Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A September I Remember

September was still really warm. Nathan tried a campout in our backyard but the kids couldn't settle down and they finally had to come inside. They loved having a campfire, though!  I like this shot of our garden area.  You can see the massive jungle of wild sunflowers on the right, the cherry tree beside it, the chicken coop (that has yet to see chickens), the pear tree, and the rose bushes. Also, last summer we finally got the garden beds under control by covering them with weed blackout and bark.  They look great, with nothing growing in them!
The one thing we did grow was tomatoes. I tried vertical tomatoes this time, and I really like the concept. You are supposed to pinch off side branches and encourage it to grow tall, binding it to a 7-ft stake or more. I wasn't as diligent as I should have been, so I got a lot of side growth and less height, but mostly it kept the fruit off the ground and made it easier to harvest. I had a soaker hose set up on a timer, otherwise I would have killed it through neglect. Things around here that want to stay alive have to pat my leg and whine.  The apple tree is in the background, heavy with worm-ridden fruit. Next year is that tree's last chance...
In September it was still warm enough for swimming. Bellana was in heaven!  She is a little mermaid and loves to go on her belly in the bath tub or pool. She dips her chin in and drinks the water and slides all around on her belly.
The other kids love it too!
Talk about love...

This was an assignment Annalee did at school. Melt my heart!
 Did ye know that every September 19th be "Talk like a Pirate Day"? We went to Krispy Kreme again, dressed up, and got three boxes of free donuts.  I asked Annalee if she wanted us to wait until she got home from school so she could come with us but she doesn't like to dress up and be silly. She did want us to save her some donuts, though!  Everyone complimented us on our costumes and said how I had two handsome little boys.  Well, I can't really blame them...it's hard to find a girl pirate costume for a one-year-old!
We started a preschool co-op again with some friends. This time, I was the one that started it so I got to make the rules!  Yay!  It was such a relief to craft it exactly the way that I wanted to.  We started with 4 kids, three boys and a girl.  Later in the year one of the boys dropped out and two more girls and a boy joined, so as of April we are going strong with six kids!  This was our first day of preschool, A is for Airplane. The kids had a blast with paper airplanes.

No comments: