Saturday, October 18, 2014

Ye Renaissance Faire

I had been looking forward to the Renaissance Faire for months.  On the day of, we ended up having quite a few things going on, including a long-awaited trip to the temple for our ward Primary.  So we didn't get to the faire until late in the day.  This group of belly dancers was performing when we arrived.
Since the kids are dressing up as the characters from Frozen for Halloween, I decided to get a little more mileage out of their costumes and have them wear them to the faire.  Vander's wasn't quite finished yet, but he looked like a pirate.
A pirate in trouble!
The sword was taller than he was!

He found this sign at the pavilion and when he found out it said "Huzzah!" that became his personal catch-phrase.  He's still using it a week later.  "Huzzah!" to everything!  Even though he doesn't know exactly when you should say it, tee hee!
They had fun games set up for the kids.
And a petting zoo.
 
Trying to feed the dragon with sheep from a catapult.
Somehow, I ended up with a ton of pictures of Vander on this outing.
I was very excited to use my Damselinthisdress corset!   I was worrying about what blouse or skirt to pair it with when I suddenly remembered that Sarah had given me her bridesmaid dress from my wedding.  I knew that design would come in handy as a costume later! 
Look at this adorable little wench!
 
Jousting for canning rings with a pony cart was only $1 per kid!  I loved the price,
and the kids loved the jousting!  Just look at Vander's concentration!

The wind started to pick up an hour before the faire was supposed to end, so booths started packing up and the whole thing started to shut down.  We made it back to the car just as the rain hit!  We hadn't had time to eat before the faire closed, so we went in search of modern fare in town.  My corset was killing me so I took it off.  Just as I realized that the back of the dress wasn't modest without it, Nathan's belt buckle broke in half!  Thank goodness for drive-thru so we can contain wardrobe malfunctions in the car.

The faire was pretty fun, if small.  I imagine it was probably bigger earlier in the day.  We will try to go earlier next year.

2 comments:

Just Mom said...

Totally awesome! I had no idea you did all that stuff!

Laura said...

Looks like fun! I had no idea there was one of those nearby. I doubt there's anything like that near here though.
I would love to hear Vander going around saying "Huzzah!"