Sunday, October 26, 2014

Scripture Cookies

(Since we didn't take any pictures tonight, I will include some pictures from a recent family photo shoot.)

You know when you say, "Let's have Family Home Evening!" and your kids are like, "meh."


That was tonight.  They whined and didn't want to do it.  So I told them we were going to have a Scripture Treasure Hunt.  And they still weren't impressed.

Undaunted, I told the kids that the scriptures tell us lots of things.  They can answer our questions.  They can tell us what God wants us to do.  And they can tell us how to make cookies.

"What?!" exclaimed Annalee.

"Just wait and see," I said.  I handed her Daddy's quad combination, opened to the first scripture.  She read through the verse until she found the first ingredient..."Butter!"

Vander helped Daddy put the ingredients in the mixer.  He was so excited to help.

My job was to look up the scriptures and Annalee's job was to read them.














I have never seen her read the scriptures with such interest.  Several times she said things like, "I can't wait to see what the scriptures say next!" or "I love reading the scriptures!" or "This is so fun!"  I was chuckling inside at the cheesy, 1950s-advertisement enthusiasm she displayed with perfect sincerity.  She was also amazed that all those strange ingredients were going to make something as yummy as cookies.  She has made cookies with me before, but I guess she'd never paid much attention to what went into them.  She kept saying things like, "What?  Salt?  These are going to be weird cookies."  Hahaha!

Bellana's job was to sit in her highchair and look cute.

In the end, it was one of our most successful Family Home Evenings.  The kids enjoyed eating the cookies at the end for a snack.  If you want to make them, use the recipe below.



 

Scripture Cookies (from the Friend magazine)

To find the ingredients, look up the scripture references and fill in the blanks. (Before you make the cookies, check your answers in the list of ingredients below.) Be sure to get an adult’s help with this recipe.
3/4 cup “The words of his mouth were smoother than ____” (Psalm 55:21)
1/3 cup “Come unto me all ye ends of the earth, buy ____ and honey” (2 Nephi 26:25)
1 1/2 cups “To what purpose cometh there to me … the ____ ____ from a far country?” (Jeremiah 6:20)
2 “As one gathereth ____ that are left, have I gathered all the earth” (Isaiah 10:14)
2 cups “And Solomon’s provision for one day was thirty measures of fine ____” (1 Kings 4:22)
1 teaspoon “Take thou also unto thee principal spices, … and of sweet ____ half so much” (Exodus 30:23)
1 teaspoon “Ye are the ____ of the earth” (Matthew 5:13)
1/2 teaspoon “The kingdom of heaven is like unto ____” (Matthew 13:33)
3 cups “Nevertheless, … ____ for the horse” (Doctrine and Covenants 89:17)
1 cup “And they gave him … two clusters of ____” (1 Samuel 30:12)
  1. 1. Beat the first four ingredients together.
  2. 2. Mix in the rest of the ingredients.
  3. 3. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.
  4. 4. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 15 minutes.

3/4 cup butter, 1/3 cup milk, 1 1/2 cups sugar (sweet cane), 2 eggs, 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (leaven), 3 cups oats, 1 cup raisins.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awesome!!! I'm saving this one. Great job Sandi!

Katherine said...

I can't wait to try this one!

silver leaf said...

I liked Bellanna ' s job :)