Saturday, August 22, 2015

Breakfast at Annalee's

Annalee was sick Thursday night, coughing and crying with a sore throat. The next morning she felt "perfectly fine" she said (while I was exhausted from being woken up so much!) But I made her stay home from school anyway. She was so upset. It's the first week of school and they have done fun, fun stuff every day! Too bad, I made her stay home. By late afternoon she was languishing on the couch with a fever, so good call, Mom. Last night she had trouble sleeping again and ended up in my recliner in the guest room. When I checked on her in the middle of the night, she had somehow turned sideways, with her head at an uncomfortable-looking angle on one armrest and her legs over the other armrest. Apparently it was comfortable enough for her, because she woke up feeling bright and bushy-tailed.

I, however, had started to get a sore throat myself, so I told her to go downstairs and watch a show and not wake up her siblings. A little while later she woke me up again. She had taken a cardboard flat from the pantry (the kind you use to stack cans of green beans) and used it as a tray. She had climbed to the top of the pantry to get my special cereal (I buy expensive cereal for myself when I'm pregnant so I can stand to eat in the morning) and poured me a bowl of it with some milk. Also on the tray were napkins and a handwritten note that said "I [heart] u" on the front and "Dear Mom, get better soon. [heart] Annalee" on the inside, with a drawing of someone in glasses. (Not sure if it's me or her.)

It was so, so sweet. I was way impressed. She thought of it all on her own, with no suggestions from anyone else. It reminds me of how my siblings and I used to do stuff like that for our own mom, only I don't think the food was as edible! I woke up in a good mood today!

1 comment:

IdahoMom said...

She is most definitely your daughter.... in case you wondered, thoughtfulness.