Sunday, August 2, 2015

Sweet Surprise

Every Sunday morning my daughter and I do battle. She whines, complains, reveals previously-unknown (and dubious) illnesses and injuries, and basically makes it clear that she does not want to go to church. Sometimes it even starts Saturday night.  I can't find a cause for it. Once church is over, she is bouncing around, having had a fine time. She just doesn't like to go.

This morning she came into my room at 7:00, wearing a dress and looking for her hairbrush.  At least, I think it was my daughter. It looked like her. But since we also have daily battles about brushing her hair, I'm starting to wonder. At the time I was too tired to be suspicious, so I just asked her to please get her sister out of her crib, since she was crying.  Over the monitor I heard Annalee go into Bellana's room and Bellana's pitiful cries of "Mama...Mamaaaa..." turned into jubilant cries of "Sissy!" There was some rustling around and then they went downstairs instead of invading my room and climbing on me, like I was dreading. I got up a little while later and found out that Annalee had changed Bellana's diaper! Then she had gotten breakfast for Vander and Bellana and herself.  (She usually gets breakfast for her brother and herself, but there is sometimes some complaining and it is rare for her to get it for Bellana, since the high chair makes it more involved.)

Because of her example, Vander got dressed for church as well, within minutes of waking up. We had the best Sacrament meeting we'd had in a while. There was a little whining for things we'd already said no to and a bit of jostling for seats, but it was nothing when you consider that we almost always have to take a tantruming Bellana out to the hall, Annalee fumes and pouts because of boredom, and Vander is driven near tears because I only have two sides for people to sit next to me instead of three and why won't I let him sit on my lap the whole time???

What a great gift!

Was it my birthday? Mother's Day? My calendar says it is Friendship Day.  She can be my friend!  I don't know where this sweet helper came from but I hope she stays a long time!

No comments: