Monday, October 5, 2015

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished...

About a week after I wrote the post about Tribble finding a new home, I got a call from the microchip company telling me that my dog was at the Humane Society in Yakima, WA.

"What!?!" I yelled at the recording. Nathan started panicking, assuming that something horrible and tragic had just occurred. Well, it had. Tribble had been found wandering around a Walmart Supercenter there, without a collar.

At first I assumed that the loser trucker had dumped him there, but then I remembered that the thickness of Tribble's neck and smallness of his head had caused his collar to slip off a few times when we were on walks with him. However, Tribble doesn't even know what running is and would have been remarkably easy to catch. Still, perhaps he had been left tied up outside and slipped away? I decided to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.
I talked to the woman at the shelter and explained that he did not really belong to me anymore but that I had given him to someone else.

"Was he a trucker?" she asked.
"Why would you ask that?" I demanded.
"Because that Walmart is the central hub where all the truckers take their loads."

Well. Well, well, well. I still tried to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Then I talked to him on the phone. His answers were short and he volunteered no information. He acted surprised that Tribble had been found there but it sounded like the worst acting job in the world. He said he had given the dog to someone else, but when I asked them for their contact information he said he didn't have it. He was most unpleasant to talk to. I hung up, disgusted.

Then I asked Nathan what kind of truck the guy drove and he told me he drove for Walmart. My disgust turned into anger and my anger swelled to fury. I stormed around all day, exploding inside because that piece-of-crap excuse for a human being had abandoned this sweet dog YET AGAIN, even knowing his history. I can't understand how someone can do that to a domesticated animal but to do it to one that already has abandonment issues? I wanted to write a scathing email and tell him exactly what I thought of him. I wanted to post his information all over the internet so everyone would know what a scum bag he is. But I didn't, mostly because I know that at the end of the anger I still have to live with myself. And I knew that nothing I said would make him change so what was the point? I finally had to force myself to think about other things because it was making me so unhappy and I couldn't sleep.

I immediately went on Craigslist in Yakima and posted his picture and complete history so people would know he was available and so anyone adopting him would know what they were in for. Amazingly, I was contacted by at least 5 people who loved Shih Tzus and who had compassion for and experience with abused animals. Then it became a race to see which one could adopt him first. (The adoption fees there are only $100. Doesn't surprise me that West Idaho is inflated again in something. You should see our gas prices!) I also gave his complete history to the shelter so they could pass it on to whoever adopted him. He was adopted 5 days later, but not by one of the two ladies I was in the most contact with. I was disappointed because they had promised to give me updates and send me pictures every once in a while.  But I really hope that he found a good home this time, one where the people are willing to work with him and give him the love he deserves.

Because he was adopted through a shelter I am sure that they changed the microchip information to the new owner. I think I can finally say I have seen the end of the trouble with Tribble.

And Mr. Trucker? Karma will get you.

No comments: