Thursday, December 3, 2015

If you build it, they will come

I've used this title before, back in 2008 when we were waiting for Annalee's arrival. But I couldn't resist using it again. The nursery is all done and just waiting for a little one!
This was Nathan's old man cave. Sorry, Sweetie! My mom came and helped me paint it this lovely grey. It's the same color as the bathroom from our kitchen remodel. Actually, this nursery is the reason the bathroom is grey. I wanted a nursery color that would also work for Nathan's man cave again some day because I HATE PAINTING and want to avoid it if I can. Plus, grey is really popular right now. I did an online search for "pink and grey nursery" and then went with the color that was used in a nursery I thought looked good. When I got the paint sample at the store I thought it looked beige. But I STINK at picking paint colors, so I decided to trust the internet. I was not disappointed!

I got a great deal on the wall cling for only $5!

The recliner is still going strong; it will be on its third baby now. Baby girl and I will be spending a lot of time in that thing--many late nights. The darling crocheted blanket on the chair was made by my Grandma Ring and the materials were purchased by her mother, Great-Grandma MacDonald. When it arrived in the mail I called Grandma to ask if I'd told her the nursery was going to be pink and grey. Nope! She just made it those colors by chance!

I just finished the baby blanket today because my good friend Laurie watched Vander and Bellana so I could work uninterrupted. That project (and several others) has been weighing on my mind, hanging over my head and begging to be completed before the baby comes. What a relief to have it done! I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I did some different things this time. I folded the backing over to the front and used it as binding for the edges. It was time-consuming but less expensive in the end, as well as being so cute.
I also did something different with tying. I didn't want yarn hanging off of it everywhere, so I tied it by doing zigzag stitches over and over in a small spot to tie the quilt with my sewing machine. (The grey thread ties are in the center of the large flowers with the dark pink petals.) This is my favorite blanket I've done!

Now, if I can just finish a few more projects, I'll be as ready as any parent ever is!

2 comments:

Koreena said...

Everything is beautiful! Alice's room is grey, too. It looks so good with any pop of color. Can't wait to see pics of the newest family member!

Heather H. said...

I love those colors! And the blankets are awesome, I especially like the idea of sewing "ties" instead of having yarn bits. I as an adult get tired of the yarn on my quilt assaulting my nose, I'm sure it's even worse for babies. I'm definitely filing that one away for future use. =D