Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween 2009

"Forgive me for startling you, but you have startled me, with your beauty. I am Lord Farquaad. Would you like to see my perfect Halloween costume?
"Then come back next year!"

[Sandi shoves aside Lord Farquaad.]

Ahem. Yes, I labored long and hard on our costumes. Steven was Shrek, I was Princess Fiona, and Nathan was Lord Farquaad.
And we also had a pumpkin . . . because, uh, ogres are like pumpkins. (Don't ask me how.)

I didn't get the costumes totally finished. I didn't have time or money for the trim. But we will dress up as this again next year, and hopefully by then I can finish them. Also, Annalee will have a matching costume then, either the pink dragon or the Gingerbread Man. I was so busy with our costumes (didn't even finish Farquaad's hat) and I knew that I had a $3 pumpkin costume from a garage sale this summer that I could use if I had to. And I had to.

Still, things turned out very well, though you won't be able to tell from the photos. (Seriously, doesn't anyone know how to use my camera besides me? I'm really sad the pictures turned out so badly.) What you can't see is that Steven rolled his ears together with rubber bands so that they'd be shaped like Shrek's ears. I was so impressed! Also, I got some cheap boots from D.I. and cut the backs off of them so Nathan could strap them to his thighs. This next picture is blurry, but at least you can see everything from Nathan's boots to my crown.
Annalee had a lot of fun at our ward party. It was a soup and bread potluck with lots of yummy desserts. At one point Nathan pointed out "She won't eat anything but cookies!" I said, "Oh well, it's Halloween."

We went trick-or-treating the next night around our neighborhood. The temperature was quite warm for the end of October--in the low 50s--but we were cold before long anyway. We came home and watched Pirates of the Caribbean and handed out candy to trick-or-treaters, then put Annalee to bed and played games while we ate her candy!

Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Pretty incredible outfits! I would love to see your dress up close! My ears hurt just looking at Steve. I can't believe you got your husband and brother to do that! And Miss Annalee just looks like "OK Mom, are you done yet???"

Love ya Mom

Neoma said...

It is so good to steal Halloween candy from babies...

PS Your outfits are pretty good, too.

Jackson Family said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with your costumes. You are amazing!

Koreena said...

You all look fabulous!

Rachel Holloway said...

so much fun! Your costumes looks great--and hey, you'll get years of use out of them! Can't beat that!