My audition lasted all of the first 3 measures of "How Great Thou Art" when the director cut me off and declared I could sing. I figured that was a good sign. Then she took a good look at me and said, "Honey, when are you due?" I told her. "So he'll be four months old when we perform?" She seemed worried about the situation. "I thought you'd want a baby in the play," I said. "Oh, we'd LOVE a baby in the play!" she exclaimed. "I have a very supportive husband," I assured her. And boy, I do.
I wasn't informed of the first rehearsal, I was sick for the second, and my water broke the morning of the third. But I made it to the fifth, and every one thereafter. It was pretty stressful, but not for the reasons I'd expected. Everything was so . . . unorganized. Is it just because this was a community play? I haven't been in enough of them to know. I assume that people didn't bother to come to rehearsal (or write the choreography or learn their music) because it was a nebulous community production with no clear consequences for not doing your best. For example, if you belonged to a playhouse and did that kind of thing you'd be fired. But instead, those of us that did show up all got lectured about the importance of coming to rehearsal. Yeah, go figure. I guess it was hard to lecture the people that weren't there? The only things that kept me from quitting were a) my determination to be involved in community theater and b) the assurance of a music pal I respect that all of this director's productions eventually come together and are fabulous. (I was hanging onto that promise like a prayer.)
In the final month we started having two and three rehearsals a week. That's when it really came together--the set got built, the costumes were constructed, and people finally bothered to learn their lines. Oops, am I being too negative? It was very frustrating at the time, but in the end I was very pleased with the results.
I got a small role with 6 lines. The rest of the time I was just an extra. But I had a lot of fun with it. This is during the town scene. I don't have any lines right here, but I am scolding my "son" for carrying around a rifle.
When I was an extra I had Vander man with me. I didn't want to look like I had the same baby for 40 years, so he had costume changes after every scene. In this one we are camped at Green River on the way to the Salt Lake valley. I am shielding him from a silly character who doesn't know which end of a gun the bullets come out of.
My real husband has a million good points and I am so lucky he was around! He put up with me being gone every Wednesday night for months. He would have to make dinner himself most times and put Annalee to be alone. In the beginning he was also watching Vander too! Several times he brought me food, or props I'd forgotten. He came to the play both nights and sat through the two-hour production with a very bored 3 year old. Then he bought me flowers!
Thanks, Hun, for letting me live my dream! When I left high school, I swore I would continue singing and performing. As life took me in different directions I kept saying, "someday, someday." This play was small, my role was small, but I did it. I showed myself I could.
During the last week of rehearsals I kept thinking of the plays I have written and never published, especially the one I wrote on my mission about sister missionaries. My new goal is to write it, tweak it up, and get it performed next year! I hope all my former roommates, companions, my friends, family, and adoring fans that have listened to my made-up songs forever will be sure to come!
6 comments:
I should also mention that Steven came both nights. He took a video of the first night, then video and pictures of the second. Thanks, buddy!
Way to go, Sandi! I think you would like my mom a lot...she's a singer and a performer. (She was asked last minute & just wrote up a roadshow play last week & it's being performed tonight.) Anyway, I admire you & think you're fantastic.
awesome job, Sandi. I'm looking forward to seeing your play brought to stage--don't give up on your goal, you are super talented! love ya :)
Follow your dream Sweetie, you live parts of it everyday!
A Sandi original play next summer? I'm there! I've been wanting to visit you all and that would be an awesome excuse.
That's great that you took the time to do something you love! Sorry the rehearsals were so frustrating. Can't wait to see your play next year. :)
Post a Comment