Sunday, May 12, 2013

The "true" story of Mother's Day

When we were living at home, my sister and brother and I would conspire to do all kinds of creative things for birthdays and Mother's/Father's Days.  One Mother's Day we made a card.  I wrote the poem and Sarah illustrated it.  I am so sad that I don't have the illustrations anymore!  But I do remember the poem.  I've included some pictures I found that help convey the idea.


This is for you, Mom.

Once, long ago, before festival day,
the king's own mother was slaving away.
The festival came on the first week of May
and many things had to be done.

She ordered the streamers, the floats and balloons,
food and containers, napkins and spoons,
party hats, acrobats, singing baboons--
enough to delight everyone!

But mothers get tired each now and again
and sometimes they lose their "I'm ready" grin.
Soon the king realized just how hard it'd been
and called his court staff right away.

"A grand proclamation I have to make!
This mother stuff's hard--no, it's no piece of cake!
So, for all those givers who don't ever take,
I'm calling a Mother's Day!"

And that's the true story (you heard it from me)
about how the first Mother's Day came to be.
The festival?  It turned out marvelously,
the way that the king's mother ran it.

And that thoughtful king, he felt pretty good,
thinking he'd done what any son could.
Each year he made Mother's Day come like it should,
even if his mom had to plan it.


Of course, that's not the true story of Mother's Day.  But when I was younger I didn't know it.  I just knew that my mom was fabulous. 
And now that I'm a mom myself I know that even when kids try to do nice things for you and give you a break it usually means more work for you, one way or another!  But, bless the little children that love us!  (And the husbands that help them.)  And God bless my amazing mom!
 

3 comments:

Laura said...

HAHAhahaha. I love it. Isn't it too true sometimes though.
Have a great mother's day, you're a wonderful mom!

Katherine Bettilyon said...

LOVE IT!

Just Mom said...

Wow! Crying now at work. I thought Mothers day was past! I always loved the stuff you guys made, it always was super special to me. I would bet I still have that story in my "Special" file.
Love you!