Friday, July 19, 2013

Bountiful Harvest

What you see here is the sum total of all the cherries we got off our tree this year.  The tree MADE a lot more cherries than this--hundreds--but sometime during the week the baby came the birds got to them.  When I finally ventured outside again to check on the garden there were only 5 cherries untouched by the birds.  Unfortunately, they were not untouched by worms.

Fail.

Vander saw me bring them in and wash them off and kept begging for "gwapes."  But after I cut them open and discovered the little parasites, I had to throw them away.  "GWAAAAPES!"

For some reason, our pear tree didn't make a single pear this year and the peach tree only made one tiny peach.  I wonder if it will make it to harvest.  There are lots of apples but they also have worms.  At least we can cut them out!  I can't believe what a loss the garden was this year.  We even sprayed for bugs and worms!  Well, there's always next year if the trees don't die!

1 comment:

Laura said...

So sad! Even with spraying? Fruit trees really take a lot of work, pruning, spraying, thinning, fertilizing, watering, etc... not to mention taking care of the fruit when it's ready rather than on your own time-line. Still, You can't beat fresh fruit grown in your own back yard.
I wonder if Idaho has some sort of agricultural extension service like Utah does through USU and 4H. Maybe they could help you though, my mom calls them constantly about what sprays to use when and how to treat diseases and bugs and such. Those darn birds though, I remember sitting under our cherry tree with a high pressure nozzle gun on the hose and spraying the robins every time they'd try to land in the tree. We even set up snares and caught a bunch of the buzzards just to put fear in their hearts. We let them go of course. I've seen people use CD's on strings and other motion sensor things, but no matter what you do you'll usually lose a bunch to the birds. Still, a whole tree? That hurts. I wonder how many of them would have been wormy had there been a whole tree's worth. We always sprayed and still had a few worms. We'd just put them in a bucket of water and skim off the ones that floated, that's how you know they're wormy, usually. I still remember a few jars of canned cherries having worms floating in them though. After being processed like that I'm sure they weren't going to make us sick, but still... My mom would just say, "oh well, a little extra protein won't hurt you."
Better luck next year.

Sorry for the long comment, we need to hang out.