September 19th was International Talk Like a Pirate Day! You know how I love to dress up, right? So when I heard that Krispy Kreme was giving away a free box of donuts to anyone who dressed like a pirate, I knew what I was doing on Thursday. (They also gave a single donut if you just talked like a pirate but didn't dress up.) I looked all over for our "hook" but couldn't find it. So Vander got a sailor shirt and vest, bandana, and eye patch. (Hee hee, eye liner!)
Bellana got a bandana and eye patch too! (Although she really didn't like wearing the bandana.) I also made her a cute striped skirt to go with her ruffled white shirt.
Annalee doesn't like dressing up silly. She's at that age where she gets embarrassed in front of other people. So we went while she was at school. Still, three boxes of donuts left plenty for her! Aye, we found the golden rings!
I was wearing a striped shirt, cutoff shorts, and a lovely headscarf.
After grabbing the donuts, we drove to Nathan's work to surprise him for his birthday. I think he suspected we might visit him for his birthday, but he didn't know we'd be pirates! Vander and I had practiced singing "Happy Birthday" with pirate accents, including, "Happy Birthday, ye old scallywag!" on the third line, but when we got there he was too distracted by the balloons we'd brought (and almost lost in the parking lot!) to sing.
I'd planned to celebrate Nathan's birthday more that weekend when Nathan was home, but he and I both got a sore throat and horrible head cold--at the same time! Foul! Aren't parents supposed to get sick on different days so they can take turns with watching the kids and taking care of each other? It was a pretty miserable couple of days. By Sunday, I finally had enough energy to make a special bacon/egg/biscuit meal for lunch while we stayed home from church. Before we ate I told the kids, "Let's sing 'Happy Birthday'." We didn't even have a candle. Kind of a lame way to spend your 35th birthday, but at least he got a massage out of it. I'd signed him up with our favorite masseuse a few weeks earlier.
3 comments:
If only I had known... Arrrrrr!
My favorite birthday was at your house one year, when Sarah showed up with family, your family and I think Steve, unless he was in the service. There was a surprise party for me. Nothing super fancy, just the people I love and are dear to my heart, going out of their way and taking time to do something special for me.
Life just can't get better than that! Nathan did not have a "lame" 35th birthday. Love you.
Cute little pirates!
Post a Comment