"What is that?!" I thought, when I saw this in the grocery store.
It's a dragon fruit! It comes from Vietnam. Even though they were $3.50 each, I just had to try one.
I looked up on Youtube how to eat them. It is surprisingly easy.
You just cut them in half, stick in a spoon, and Presto! Scoop it out. I was surprised by the inside. It is white with hundreds of little black seeds. I thought it kind of looked like kiwi. When I ate some I realized it is a lot like kiwi. The taste is similar. It wasn't as tart as kiwis are--not as acidic.
Everyone had a taste but Annalee and Daddy weren't as excited about it as Vander and I. So the boy and I happily finished it. We were left with these pretty, bright pink peels. If I were wealthy it would be fun to scrape the flesh out of a bunch of these, make a juice, and then use the halves for fancy cups.
So if you ever see a dragon fruit at the store, buy it and have a tasty adventure.
2 comments:
Cool! I did not expect the inside to look like that at all! I'm always curious to try exotic fruits, but afraid that they won't be as good as they could be since they've had to travel so far and that I would get a bad impression. You know, like trying store bought peaches in January as opposed to fresh off the tree peaches. Still, that's really cool.
I know! I thought the inside would be more like a mango.
Post a Comment