Last month the world lost a great lady. Nathan's grandma, or Grammy, as we called her, passed away in the memory care center where she'd be living for the past few years here in Nampa. We were fortunate that our move for Nathan's job brought us right here where we could be close to her. We tried to visit every week, though that didn't happen as much as I would have liked. (Is it possible for three kids to all be not sick at the same time?) But we got to see her a lot. Even though she never remembered who we were and would often become confused, it was worth it. I loved the way her face would light up when she heard us say, "Hi, Grammy!" and realized that the woman with two cute children and an adorable baby was there for her.
We got a call from Nathan's mom on Friday the 18th of October to let us know that Grammy hadn't eaten since Monday and was probably not going to be around much longer. The kids and I immediately went to see her. Outside her room, I knelt down to talk to Annalee and Vander, explaining that Grammy was sick and was probably going to die soon. I told them it was because she was old and it wasn't a sickness that we could catch. I told them it would be okay. That we should try to smile and tell her we loved her. We went into her room to find her confined to her bed. One of the ladies that works there was trying to get someone to come give her some painkillers. Grammy was in a lot of pain. She just kept moaning that she had to get out of there. I tried to talk to her, but it was like she didn't even know we were there. I woke Bellana from her nap in the car seat and held her on my lap so Grammy could see her. With how much she loves babies, I thought this might get her attention, but it didn't. Vander started pounding on a toy (as toddlers will do) and it upset Grammy a lot. Finally, discouraged, I told Grammy that we were going to go. I told the kids to say good-bye to Grammy. I felt like a fink because I knew this would be the last time they saw her but I didn't tell them because I didn't want them to make a scene and upset her more. Vander walked to the head of the bed and said "Buh-bye, Gammy," opening and closing his hand in a little wave. Suddenly, her eyes focused on him and her hand raised slowly in the air. The entire time we had been there she hadn't moved at all, and it couldn't have seemed any more a miracle to me than if she had leapt up to dance. Then her hand opened and closed as she waved bye-bye to her great-grandson.
Curse me for not having the camera ready! I quickly pulled it out and caught Annalee giving Grammy a hug.
I had Vander give her another hug.
Then I laid Bellana next to Grammy. She turned her head to kiss Bellana on the top of her head a few times and said, "Oh, I love you!"
Family drove and flew in to say their good-byes as well. When everyone had come who was going to, Grammy passed away in the early morning hours of Thursday the 24th.
We miss you, Grammy!


1 comment:
I'm glad you got the chance to say goodbye and get some pictures of the kids with her. She was a very sweet lady when I met her. I'm sorry for your loss.
Post a Comment