Monday, December 30, 2013

Family's Got Talent

Part of our Christmas fun in Rigby this year was a Talent Show!  I was very excited and everyone else tried not to throw me out in the snow.  But despite the initial lukewarm response, most everyone got into it by the end.

Here, the audience is anxiously awaiting the show!

Paisley went first, I think.  (It's been a while so the details are starting to fuzz.)  She beautifully sang two songs she's learned in school.  The outfit was a must.

Calvin showed off the skills he's been learning in piano lessons with two songs, including Funiculi Funicula, that fun Neopolitan song.  He planned a sneaky ending to his song where he would bow and then fall down and trick everyone.  It worked a little too well!  His dad thought he'd really fallen and gotten hurt so he stopped recording to go help him.  Calvin really got us!


Ginny sang "I am a Child of God."  She is such a cutie.


Vander sang "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."  I was really proud of him, doing it in front of everyone.  I wasn't sure if he would.

I had planned to have Bellana show off her newest talent of rolling over (that she had just mastered) but she was asleep during the talent show.

Nathan doesn't like to be the center of attention and didn't want to participate, but he finally agreed to juggle.  He's actually pretty good at doing three objects and often uses it to entertain little kids.  The kids were very entertained, especially when he purposely missed catching one and let it hit him on the head!  Check out his glazed look from getting beaned, in the second picture.


Annalee planned her talent way in advance.  She brought her costume from last summer's dance recital and did the warm up they do in class each day, a great tutorial on all the ballet positions.
I had the hardest time figuring out what to do.  Since I had planned the whole thing, I wanted my talent to be really funny or impressive.  But we got to the day of the talent show and I still hadn't decided.  Steven was trying to get out of doing anything at all, so I finally convinced him to do The Duck Song with me. It's a funny song about a duck that keeps bugging a guy at a lemonade stand.  Steven was the annoyed guy at the lemonade stand.
And I was the duck.  We practiced a few times with the computer and then he downloaded the song to his phone so we could play it in the living room.  Unfortunately, we never practiced with the song on his phone and when it started playing we discovered that it was a remixed version that was heavy on the bass and really weird.  I was blushing for a lot of it because I was so embarrassed but it was hilarious, I'm sure!
Sarah and Bob ended the show with some serious singing talent, doing a piece that had prepared for something else.  Church, maybe?

We had a great time and I will be forcing this pleasant torture on family gatherings for many years to come!

No comments: