We got to our campsite around 6:00 pm and left Annalee screaming in the car with the dog while Nathan and I set up the tent in the rain. It only took us 15 minutes!
While Tavi shivered with cold and shame, I blundered around, willing a roll of paper towels and a canister of Chlorox wipes to magically appear. Instead, I found the bag of dirty clothes and some baby wipes. I removed my socks and used them to scoop up the offending pile. Where could I put it? In the dirty clothes bag. Then I cleaned myself and the sleeping bag up with baby wipes. I really didn't want to find any more stuff with my foot, so the sleeping bag was thrown open wide while I cleaned. Poor freezing Nathan tried to cover it back up in his sleep, so I yelled "I'M CLEANING UP DOG THROW-UP, SO KNOCK IT OFF!" Without a doubt, the meanest, harshest thing I've ever said to him. Perhaps he thought it all a nightmare, because he didn't react except to stop struggling and go back to sleep. Meanwhile, wishing that it really was a nightmare, and feeling guilty for being so mean to my husband, I finished cleaning things up, covered the wet area with an extra baby blanket, and tried to calm down. I not only felt guilty about Nathan, I also felt bad for my poor sick puppy. I was sure that it was my fault he was sick, since I had shaved him and then made him stay out in the cold and wet all day and evening. He was still shivering, so I wrapped him in another extra baby blanket (I TOLD you we overpacked, but it turned out to be a good thing! Ha!) and cuddled him to my chest, outside the sleeping bag. Turned out it was a good thing he was outside the bag, because before too much longer he started gagging again. This time, though, he got up and barfed on the other side of the tent. I turned the light back on, used some more baby wipes, and threw everything in the dirty clothes bag once again. (I was going to have to remember to warn Nathan about opening that bag in the morning.) He did that two more times, and then Annalee woke up. I tried to get her to go back to sleep. She woke up several more times, and finally I woke Nathan up and asked him to take care of her. He tried to calm her down, but she was having none of it. In desperation I offered to nurse her, even though we are way past morning nursings (yes, it was morning by now). In the middle of that attempt, Tavi barfed again. "Could you take care of that, Nathan?"
My dear, sweet husband (who hates the cold and getting up early) got out of his bag and cleaned up the mess as I told him how I'd done it. Then he climbed back into the sleeping bag and stuck his foot in . . .
Yes. It is true. Ironic, but true.
It seems that before Tavi had thrown up on my side, he had thrown up on Nathan's side without waking us up. Naturally, not wanting to sleep in the mess, he then came over to snuggle with me.
We discovered that the only thing worse than warm vomit is cold vomit.
Nathan jumped out of the bag, muttering his Mormon curses and hopping around in revulsion. He was so busy ranting that he (luckily) didn't hear me laughing my head off. (Come on, can you blame me? I knew exactly how disgusting it was, and I'd had almost no sleep. I was the only one qualified to laugh!) He changed his socks, pulled on his shoes and jacket, and announced "I can't go back to sleep in that. I'm getting up." So he stomped out of the tent to light the fire, leaving the mess. It was 5:30 a.m.
Annalee settled down to sleep, so I managed to doze for another hour until she declared that it was time for her to get up. (She usually gets up at 9:30.) I threw her shoes and jacket on her and pushed her out the door. "Here, Nathan!" Then went back to sleep. I was wending my way through quiet dreamland, unaware that Tavi had crept back into the sleeping bag, when suddenly he barfed again, ON MY KNEE! That was it for me. I left the mess in the bag, changed my clothes (it had soaked through everything) and stumbled out to the dying fire. "Where is the rest of the wood?" I asked. "That's the last of it," Nathan said, pointing at the smoldering embers. Consequence of being the last one up. Uncharacteristically, Tavi didn't follow me out, but stayed curled up under a blanket in the tent. Since I was up now, Nathan went back in the tent to change Annalee's diaper. "Did you pack more wipes than this?" he asked, staring at the 5 limp wipes lying in the bottom of the box.
"No."
My answer was crisp, short, and loaded with landmines that must have set off Nathan's witchy-wife alarm, because he didn't press it.
The C Family soon joined us and we toasted bagels over the coals. Just as the fire was sputtering out the sun finally emerged and warmed us up considerably. We decided to set off on our planned hike at once so it wouldn't be too hot. We coaxed Tavi out of the tent, and he seemed to do a little better once he was warmed by the sun. However, he just walked, ignoring his friend scampering around and begging him to play like they had the day before. We hiked through some beeeeeautiful country, for just over a mile, and then the kids got tired and we came back.
In the end, we were still glad we'd gone. A friend of mine recently voiced my exact feelings: when bad things happen during my day, I keep cool and get through it by composing my blog post in my head. All frustrating occurances make great stories later! We were glad we'd gotten to spend time with the C family, and we'd learned a few things. Annalee learned that getting up at 6:30 is not a good idea. Nathan swore that we would never be taking Tavi camping again. I learned that camping and sleeping are mutually exclusive. And Tavi almost learned the right place to throw up.
8 comments:
Holy buckets of puke! That's terrible! I can't believe you even went on that hike after just about no sleep. I would've been packing things up at 5 AM and heading home. You're such a trooper!!
There is a reason that we don't camp anymore. It is because of multiple trips with rain, kid puke, kid burns and massive sun burns through rain clouds. Oh the memories! Glad you are carrying on the tradition! You make me laugh and glad I was not there. I can see the joy in your face! Love ya
ooooooh man... what a night!! sounds like... LOTS... of fun! lol. i'm glad you survived it, and i'm glad that you blogged all about it for the rest of us to enjoy.
btw, totally unrelated, but i love the new family pic/layout!
Worst. Camping trip. Ever. Unfortunately, your story was backed up by our good friends, Mr. and Mrs. C. They did not enjoy the weather either. I'm glad Nathan learned that domesticated dogs should not brave the wilderness. Blog. Laugh. Learn. I think that should be the new saying, right? You guys are awesome!
Miriam went on her first camping trip last June when she was about 3months old. Other than about freezing we did great. That's when we discovered if she slept with us we wouldn't squash her. We made it out twice more last summer, once with friends that have a daughter 8 days older than Miriam. I think we're only going to make it once this summer due to my condition but Miriam loves it.
Oh, gross! Maybe I should rethink our next planned camping trip...
Aubt J says:
Camping is great fun and bonding experience....I had to go to the bathroom twice before I got done reading it. Have you ever thought about publishing your stories? The best part, Laughter...you made my day and I am even on vacation...WOW...Love you guys...
Wow you are amazing. I would have been bawling and waking my husband up to help. At least you made the best of it and still enjoyed the beautiful country. Hopefully next time will not include barf!:)
Post a Comment