Sunday, May 30, 2010

An Uninterrupted Sacrament Meeting

During Sacrament meeting at 9:00 today, Nathan and I looked at each other and I asked, "Where did our sweet, obedient child go?" With tired resignation, Nathan sighed, "I don't know." We didn't know where our sweet child was, but at that moment our zany, loud, bezerk alien-clone child was dancing around the pews, running away from us when we called her back, refusing to sit still or fold her arms to pray, and generally driving us crazy.

We sent her off to nursery with a prayer of gratitude to an omnipotent God who would include that tiny doctrine in His Plan. (It may not be in the Plan of Salvation, but ask any parent and you will learn that Nursery is a vital doctrine in the Plan of Happiness. That is, unless you're called to be a Nursery Leader.)

After 3 hours we had a crazy, tired girl on our hands, but our time at church was not done. We were attending a baby blessing at 1pm.

During Annalee's naptime.

Rather than subject ourselves to a slow-mo replay of the earlier Sacrament meeting, we put Annalee down for a nap, turned on the baby monitor, and left Uncle Steve to listen for her while we went to our friends' ward.

The blessing was really nice. It made me think back on Annalee's baby blessing. Annalee was so beautiful in the dress I made. Nathan was really nervous (he hates public speaking) but he did a good job. Annalee was awake and alert and never fussed. (Where did she GO?!!!)

Then the Sacrament hymn began, and I thought, Wow, my second one today. And this time I won't be distracted and I can actually think about the purpose of the Sacrament. They blessed the bread and began passing it. Suddenly, Nathan pulled out our cell phone, which showed we had just missed a call from Steve. Nathan slipped out to call him back, and then slipped back in. He leaned over and whispered,

"Steven went to check on Annalee because she was pounding on her door. She had pulled off her diaper and pooped right in front of the door, and it got run over by the door when he opened it. He's trying to clean it up, but he can't go near it without almost throwing up. I'm going to run home and clean it up and then I'll be back."

I shook in silent laughter. Annalee had still managed to distract me! And what a distraction! Poor Uncle Steve may be able to face down an armed enemy, but he has no stomach for body fluids (or solids). I almost got up to join Nathan, but then I realized he had said that he was going to go clean it up. By himself. This sounded like a very good idea to me.

He returned at the end of Sacrament meeting, having cleaned up the mess and returned Annalee to her much-needed nap. We went to our friends' house for a delicious meal, and I got to hold the cute little boy!



(Here he is with big brother.)

We left a little early, hoping to get home in time for some time to ourselves, but Annalee woke up the second we walked in the door.

Could someone please tell my daughter that Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest?

4 comments:

Jackson Family said...

sounds about right, Sunday never ends up to be a day of rest...wait, that might have something to do with the fact that I'm one of the nursery leaders!

Keri said...

Whew, I'm even more tired just reading that! She sure keeps you going.

Koreena said...

As the nursery coordinator, I have no idea what you mean when you say Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. For me it's more of a run-yourself-ragged-and-deal-with-13-kids-(including-your-own)-who-are-all-missing-their-naps-because-church-is-at-1PM kind of day. :)

Glad you had a quick moment of quiet though as Nathan cleaned things up! Jossy's been wild like that lately, too. I think I'll be putting a child-sized hamster wheel in her room any day now. ;)

Martha said...

Are you telling me that in 2 or 3 months my sweet obedient child will be a wild monster in church? I can see it coming already and feel your pain!! Good luck next Sunday.