Saturday, October 30, 2010

Down in the Swamps

For the past 2 years I have been working on the same Halloween costumes. See, each year we go to an adult Halloween party thrown by one of our friends, and each year we don't win the costume contest. (All the guests vote.) So last year I decided to go all out. I picked a theme I thought would be instantly recognizable. I matched the characters to our body types. I spent . . . let's just say too much on all the materials. And then I made the costumes. Myself. It was consuming, time-intensive work, and when Halloween arrived I wasn't completely done. But then the party got cancelled for a family emergency, and I had one more year to perfect our costumes. Which I did.

I made Farquaad's hat, which was a nightmare of planning and little tiny stitches.
I added trim to everything.
I made Annalee's matching costume. (Gingy has his face on her hood, though you can't really see in this pic.

I even painted myself green and got pregnant like Fiona! (Okay, so that's not why I got pregnant.)
Here is the blastedly difficult Farquaad hat halfway through construction.
Nathan got off so late from work, and it took us so long to get ready, that they were packing up the food when we got to the ward Trunk-or-Treat. We grabbed what we could. Then we tried to get some pictures, only to discover that the camera was dead. Fortunately, a kind soul took these pictures and emailed them to me.

We came home and left Annalee with Grammy, then headed to our adult party. The decorations were spectacular, the food was delicious, the games were fun. Then came the costume contest. And a couple that had bought their Victorian costumes online won.

Disappointed? Um, yeah. I tried my very hardest, and was beat out by money, basically. Their costumes were amazing (I even voted for them since we couldn't vote for ourselves). But it was so discouraging to realize that my best was not good enough. I've decided to not try winning anymore. Maybe I can convince myself I don't care, and then it won't bother me.

Yeah, I'm feeling sorry for myself. Everyone's allowed to every once in a while, so no lectures, okay? Maybe I can blame it on pregnancy hormones.

Oh yeah, we weren't second place either.

8 comments:

M A Haddox said...

This honestly bugs me. We went to the ISU "Boo-tacular" and the kids wore the Superhero costumes Jessica made from last year (it was a tight fit, but they could squeeze into them) and all the big prizes went to kids whose parents bought their store-bought costumes. Very annoying and frustrating.

We did get a win out of it, though. Because we were late, we got about 6 bags of candy that they pre-made as an exit gift. We dumped it all out into our Halloween candy bucket that we'll use to give to trick-and/or-treaters.

By the way, those costumes are AWESOME! Next year, do what Kelly did in The Office (I know you don't watch TV, so I'll explain). She was basically competition vs. another girl in the office, who kept changing outfits to one up each other. In the end, it turns out a guy who didn't dress up won, because of two crazy votes and one from Kelly. Her reasoning, "If I can't vote for myself, I'm going to vote for someone that has no chance."

Keri said...

Wow, there must have been some incredible costumes for you to not even have gotten 2nd. I'm seriously impressed with your talent!

Koreena said...

You are seriously amazing! I say you win in my book just for all that green makeup! You guys look great! I can't believe you made all that yourself.

Jackson Family said...

I vote for you Sandi, cuz your awesome and super talented!

Danica said...

What amazing costumes! i am surprised that you didn't win but most importantly are the fun pictures you will have forever. Annalee will always have those pictures to show everyone what an amazing and tallented Mom she has!

Just Mom said...

Anyone who could con a husband in wondering around on his knees and a brother in to shaving his head for a second year and getting all green, let alone the creativeness of the costumes themselves IS a winner!

I always liked the green Feona better anyway.

I always vote for you.

Sarah said...

Bob gave your costumes an approving nod. Let's spread nice words? Whatever! I put together an awesome Abby costume from NCIS last year, and I was beat out at the Sports Academy costume contest by some jerk who rented a Sully (Monsters, Inc.) costume. This year I decided that I don't enjoy making costumes (like Paisley's cute witch costume this year), but I love assembling costumes. In other words, get an idea and go to D.I.! Just wait 'til you see my costume at your HP party!

C.I.T.B said...

Next year I'm going as King Richard... now I just need to get a Plate helmet or a crown... wonder which is cheaper.