First of all, about three years ago women's fashion embraced high waistlines, right under the bust. This made anyone who wasn't pregnant and wasn't skinny look like they were expecting a new bundle of love. It also made it virtually impossible for anyone to safely assume that you were pregnant. So you had to get really obvious, like, patting your belly or supporting your back so people would know you weren't just fat. At first the pregnant ladies rejoiced that they finally had a larger selection of clothes from which to buy, but then they realized that while the shirts LOOKED like maternity, they just weren't made to handle the baby-mobile. Like this shirt.
See? Everything nicely contained.
Surprisingly, this shirt doesn't have the problem common to most shirts--even maternity--namely, not being long enough.
Hooray! A new maternity shirt.
Now, even though they commit the gross sin of looking like maternity clothes, we can hardly blame regular shirts for failing to live up to something they weren't made for. However, I have a BIG beef with maternity clothing makers. My complaints are as follows.
- Ridiculously expensive--Helloooooo, I'm only going to be wearing these for about 6 months, do you really need to charge $30 for a shirt and $50 for a pair of pants that won't stay up anyway? (Motherhood Maternity)
- Poor selection--Most stores have stopped carrying a maternity line (Walmart!) and those that do have less choice than a high school cafeteria. Recently at JC Penney's I found their maternity "section" tucked in a corner of the intimate apparel. There were 6 different shirts and 4 kinds of jeans. wow. I'll have a hamburger, please.
- Low necklines--You would think that the shirts made specifically for bust-increasing women would be made to hold it all in, but such is not the case. Perhaps they think that women who have always had little to show off now look forward to displaying as much as possible. Probably a lot of women feel that way, but I'm surprised someone hasn't come forward to market to the high concentration of child-bearing modest-minded women in Idaho and Utah.
- Not long enough--Come on! This belly is just going to get bigger. Your shirts should be long enough to cover it, by themselves, no $20 belly bands or hot undershirts.
- Layers--Layers are touted as the perfect solution for pregnant women. I see them as a perfect scam. "Hey Jerry, what if we could get each pregnant women to have to wear two shirts each day instead of one?" "That's brilliant, Larry! We'll make twice as much! And let's make the jeans all low-rise so we can sell those belly bands too!" Yes, layers are just more clothes you wouldn't need if the shirts were long enough or normal-necked enough in the first place. And they make you too hot. Even in the winter, fat people are going to get hot when they have too many layers on! I am so frustrated when my clothing is not good enough to be worn on its own.
So last Fall I found two fugly dresses on clearance at Walmart for $3 each.
I cut off most of the length and used some of it to make a panel for the neckline. I hemmed the shirts long so that they'd cover everything now and later. I am so excited about my three new maternity shirts! (None of which started out as maternity, so THERE, you blasted Jerry and Larry!)
7 comments:
Amen on the pants that won't stay up!! And I'm really tired of having to wear undershirts, as well. Good for you on being an inventive seamstress!
Great job expressing all my frustrations! By the way, what was a very ugly dress actually looks really cute as a shirt. Kudos for your inventiveness!
you are one cute prego lady! Way to be so ingenious.
You always make me laugh! I'm glad you were able to find 3 new maternity shirts. Cutting those dressed was brilliant! (I guess that's why you included the label "I am brilliant" with this post. LOL)
I can't say AMEN loud enough! You crack me up. You should send this to Motherhood Maternity. I'll sign it!
You should be writing a book, not just this blog
Wow! So draling! Good work!
Post a Comment