Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Roommates

Counting my 6 mission companions, I have had over 40 roommates since I graduated high school. Many of them I hardly remember, but a few dear ones have become life-long friends.
It seems like each year it was pretty much all or nothing. Either the spirit of the apartment meant we all became friends--like the year I spent with Danica, Rachel, and Koreena--or we just got along okay and then went our separate ways, with no super-special friendships.

My last semester of college I got really lucky and found some more amazing ladies. They were sweet, mature (in ways that matter), spiritual, and fun fun fun! Several had been on missions, and one was even married! (Waiting for her husband to return from Iraq.) These girls put up with me when I was at my most annoying point since pre-adolescence: I was engaged.
They were such a close-knit bunch before I moved in that they had created a new last name for themselves out of the first letter of each of their last names, and ever since there have been periodic "Cisham Family" reunions, which they have kindly included me in. Recently we had one in Rexburg. It was a vast, three-day affair, but I was feeling sick and only made it to the Girls' Night Campfire. We talked for hours while avoiding the blowing smoke. It felt so wonderful to talk to these seasoned wives and mothers (one, seasoned for only a month at wifehood!) that share the same values I do.

When we were done, we realized that no one had taken any pictures, so I happily obliged. I got a picture of everyone by putting my camera on the roof of my car.

I know they were so grateful to me for taking blinding pictures of them when they were pratically camping! This is Marion, my adopted sister. We were companions for 7 1/2 months on our mission. We didn't get to be roommates later, but she roomed with the Cisham clan the semester before I did (and then she got married).This is Anna. We were room roommates together. The whole time we lived together she was so excited for me about everything happening in my life, and always had a smile on her face. I don't think I know a nicer person. She went on a mission soon afterward, and just got married this year.

The other girls in the picture had already moved on by the time I moved in, but we feel connected anyway. I just wish all my roommates could have come! (I guess Texas, Washington, and Michigan were just too far away.)

4 comments:

Koreena said...

Wow, 3 days? We need to beef ours up next time. ;)

Glad you had fun!

Danica said...

I used thecutestblogontheblock.com I didn't wait around for a coupon because I had the money and was worried if I didn't get it right away the money would be used on something else but mine turned out to be a little over 200 pages for $100. What I was most happy about was how it loaded my blog into book form with not a lot of work on my part. Was the company you used easy to use? Are you happy with how it turned out? My only complaint was that I'd love to be able to make the pictures bigger in the book or edit the book once they loaded it. I'd love to see your book sometime.

Neoma said...

I missed it! :( I wish I could have been there with my Cisham sisters. I'm glad you all had a good time.

The Peine Family said...

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you for putting up photos, Sandi! I am so happy to see these girls again! It's wonderful to make such good friendships, but it sure is hard to be separate afterward! Maybe someday when everyone's lives settle down a bit we'll all be able to be together in the same place for a complete reunion. :)