Thursday, October 7, 2010

So she says

I want to record some funny things Annalee has said recently, and also post a few pictures that don't go with anything.

When we are driving around, we often try to distract Annalee from a behavior we don't like by having her watch the traffic lights. "Red means . . . " we'll say, and she'll shout "Stop!" Then when it changes she'll say "Ween means Go!"
The other day I was waiting to turn right at a busy intersection. The traffic across from us was going straight and turning left, so when their left lane was free of cars I turned right on the red light. Immediately from the back I heard "Not ween! Not ween!" and I had to admit she was right. I tried, feebly, to explain the law that allows me to turn right on a red, but gave it up because it sounded really stupid to try to explain it to a two and half year old. She got me!

Today we were running errands and Annalee asked where we were going. I said, "We're going to the grocery store, and then to another store."
"And then to Grammy's house?" she asked.
"No, we're not going to Grammy's house today."
"Yes, Grammy's house, that's your only choice," she said firmly.
I busted up laughing, because I was hearing my own words said back to me. When I give her a choice between, say, milk and water, and she says "juice" I tell her "No, milk or water, those are your only choices." Apparently she is trying to see if what works on her will work on me too!

2 comments:

Koreena said...

I have a hard time explaining the turn right on red thing to my 5-year-old too. Love the "your only choice" story. :)

Jessica said...

It is really scary hearing yourself from your children's mouth!