Monday, November 29, 2010

The Joy of Families

I have been struggling lately with having nice Sundays. It seems like for the past few months I have allowed myself to get annoyed before Church every week, meaning that I am in a bad mood when I get there and spend half of the day feeling like I need to repent. Not very uplifting. Last night I decided that I would be in a good mood. And I prayed.

Several things went wrong. Annale woke up a few times in the night. Nathan and I were both very tired. We were late for Church. It was snowing. A lot.

And I was in a good mood.

During the Sacrament I was able to focus on other things I needed help with besides the same-old anger-management, and I had a really neat experience. I was thinking about how neither Nathan or I have had a very demanding calling in the past year and a half (we think our bishop is waiting for Nathan to graduate before he pounces) and so I was thinking how tired I already am, and how much more tired I will likely be when the baby comes. And how I'll accept a calling anyway. And how I knew God would help me in my current calling of being a Mother.

BAM

As I thought that, the Spirit told me it was true. I have been given the life-long calling of Mother, and God is trying to help me every moment to be the best mother I can be.

Wow. That's a lot of power to have on your side.

I didn't get too much out of the rest of the meeting because (he-llo!) I have a toddler, but something else really wonderful happened during the closing hymn. We were singing Go Forth with Faith, and Annalee was singing along, as we have encouraged her to do. Of course, she doesn't know the words or even the tune, but she just sings whatever she feels like, and it's really cute. I figure it a) gets her used to singing with us and b) stops her from trying to sneak out of the chapel during the song. Today she was singing with above-average enthusiasm, and just as we came to the end of verse one--in the lovely pause of silence before verse two began--she belted out "and we can be so hap-PEEE!" [Note: that line is not in the song.]

It was hilarious! And embarrassing. And adorable! Verse two started and Nathan and I tried to sing, but we were cracking up. Especially since verse two begins "Go forth with faith to tell the world the joy of families." I was just so delighted with my family. And a little giggly. So Nathan and I shook with laughter and were completely useless for all of verse two and half of verse three. Every time we tried to start singing again our voices would quiver with suppressed glee and set us off again. I had tears streaming down my face. Annalee thought something was sad, so she stopped singing. The bishop was probably planning our next calling with a new perspective. Finally, we regained enough composure to sing the last two lines.

Oh, the joy of families!

1 comment:

Koreena said...

I've had a lot of grouchy Sunday's lately, too. Glad you had a good one. :)