Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dear Steven,

If you come home today to find that your cat has been mailed to Abu Dhabi, (had this song stuck in my head all day) then this is why:

I was putting Annalee down for a nap, trying to read her a story and sing her some songs while Vander screamed to be fed. When she was finally down I came out to the living room to sit at the computer so I could nurse in peace. Instead, I found that Haineko had knocked a huge glass of water over on the desk, soaking the keyboard, mouse, mousepad, rolling chair, and floor. It took three towels to clean it all up, which I had to do while Vander screamed. I got a different, less comfortable chair and started feeding the baby. While I was thus immobilized, the cat dashed by and knocked the baby monitor off the desk. It hit the floor and turned on, belting out static so loud I couldn't hear the video I was watching. And I couldn't reach the monitor to turn it off. The cat continued playing with it until she managed to turn it off. Then she climbed under the computer and sat on my speaker, hitting the power button and (you guessed it) turning it off. So then I really couldn't hear my video. And I couldn't reach the speaker.

A few minutes later I took a nursing break, picked up the monitor and turned the speaker back on. Then I picked up the cat and carried her and the screaming baby downstairs. I intended to lock the cat in her kennel, but alas, it was not to be found. I returned upstairs and resumed nursing.

The cat followed me back up and immediately found Vander's pacifier and started batting it around and chewing on it. When I hissed at her to stop, she ignored me. Then she climbed on the kitchen table and tried to knock over Annalee's glass of water. At that point I had had it. I stopped nursing again and grabbed Tavi's kennel. I dragged it downstairs, followed by the curious cat, which made it extremely easy for me to grab her and toss her in.

For now my problem appears to be solved. But if she starts meowing a lot and the mail hasn't come yet . . . I checked usps.com, and for a international flat rate medium box to Abu Dhabi it's only $43.23. I'll take it off of your rent.

5 comments:

Keri said...

Do it, do it, do it!

Koreena said...

Wow, that's quite the evil streak. Maybe she got jealous of the baby?

Anonymous said...

ummm glad it was the cat and not Annalee;>

Danica said...

See, cats are evil and scary!

Love the new hair cut and baby Vander is absolutely adorable!

Sandi said...

ha ha, Danica, I wondered what you would say!