Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas

 How do you get ready for Christmas?  How about with some "North Poles"?
And cuddling up for a good story?




 
Remember the Christmas oranges!
Or not.
Some people reenact the Nativity story.  We reenact A Christmas Story.
Creative decorations get us in the mood.
 We especially love presents that come from far-away grandparents with the mandate to "Open Immediately."
Proper headgear is a must.
On Christmas morning, you must designate someone to pass out the presents.  (I love how Dad is in the background trying to keep Tavi off his lap.  Tavi knows Dad is a sucker.)

The kids got tons of stuff, thanks to God blessing me to find really good deals (the bike was $30!), as well as grandparents and some Secret Doorbell Ringers in our neighborhood.  Annalee loved her pink horse sheets and comforter, her pink and purple bike, and her many other gifts (even the underwear--gotta love this age!)  We followed my mom's advice to NOT tell her when it was Christmas Eve because we wanted her to go to sleep!  We were already exhausted from a day of changing out light fixtures, painting, and fixing up our house to sell it.  (Mom and Dad and Steven were over helping us all day.)  By the time the bike was assembled and all the presents were wrapped and under the tree it was 2:00 a.m.  Our plan almost worked.  We were just shutting off the lights downstairs so we could come up and go to bed, when we heard the pitter-patter of little feet.  Annalee ran back to her room as she heard us coming.  "Mom!" she said, her face a mask of wonder, "Santa brought my bike!"  I immediately gasped in surprise, "He did?!  He came while we were downstairs?  We didn't even hear him!"  "I didn't hear him either!" she exclaimed.  It was very hard to get her back to sleep, especially since she was sick with a fever and that was why she'd woken up. The next morning she didn't remember the exchange, and didn't even remember that it was Christmas.


Mom, Dad, and Steven came over around 8:30 a.m. and we opened gifts.   Then we ate the charred mockery of baked french toast that I'd made. Sad.

Nathan got me exactly what I asked for: Orange Sticks, a coupon for a massage from him, small potted roses, and a love letter he wrote to me.  Awwwwwwwww!

I got Nathan some pjs and pants from D.I., though you'd never know that's where they came from. 
 I also made him a collage of pictures of his dog Taz, who had to be put to sleep this month at the ripe old age of 14.

We spent less than $20 on each other, and $40 total on the kids.  Surprisingly, we got everything we really wanted and it was one of the happiest Christmases ever.


Just ask Tavi.
 
We went to Church for just an hour (they had cancelled the other meetings) and I sang in the choir and played my wooden recorder (that my dad in New York gave me) as a descant on a number with the Primary.  We went to Steven's apartment for Christmas dinner and rolled home too stuffed to even try any dessert.  Annalee ate so much candy that she woke up that night and barfed on her bed.  Even that couldn't spoil the day, because Nathan and I calmly worked together as an effective team to get her and the bed cleaned up and get us all back to sleep.  Nathan had the next day off; we "slept in" until 11:00 (getting up to handle stuff but then returning to bed when we could) and worked some more on the house.

I just love my family and the blessings the Lord has given me.  Things are a little crazy right now as we prepare to move.  We wonder what is in store for us, but we know that whatever comes, we will be guided by our Father in Heaven.

Merry Christmas.

3 comments:

Keri said...

Your Christmas sounds perfect. You were truly blessed, too. Hang in there with the craziness and the move!!

Koreena said...

I love the mittens on the tree and the reenactment of A Christmas Story. So cute!

I'm so happy you had a nice Christmas despite it being a stressful time.

Computer Guy said...

Yep Dad caved in the end.