They say troubles come in threes . . . I guess they can't count.
Nathan has been having horrible tooth pain for more than a week, and we can't figure out why. For the last few months he has had a dull ache in his teeth, but after our cleanings last week the pain became unbearable. The dentist said it wasn't infected, just inflamed, and that he should take ibuprofen until the pain died down. Only, it didn't. Then he started taking a serious pain prescription but it would wear off before he could take more. So he's been alternating hydrocodone, ibuprofen, and ice cubes (to numb it) just to get through the day. They finally gave him some antibiotics, thinking he had an infection after all, and he seemed to be getting better, when--
Last night we went out to dinner for our anniversary. I had just come home from a hair appointment. We got a few things together and went back out to my car . . . which wouldn't start. Not wanting to spoil our evening, we switched the carseat to Nathan's car and went to dinner, figuring we'd worry about the car later.
After dinner Nathan started feeling really sick. He took a nap for about an hour. When he got up at 10:30 Annalee was asleep--miracle of miracles! (She's been going to bed around midnight lately, and waking up in the middle of the night because of teething pain, poor girl.) I thought hmm, the baby's asleep early and it's our anniversary, so now Nathan and I can--
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGCHHH!!!!! Nathan threw up, again and again and again . . . Nathan spent our anniversary night sitting on the toilet, hunched over a garbage can, while I spent the night changing the liner of said garbage can. He finally got a break from the body fluid barrage around 3 a.m. so he fell into a hallucinatory sleep on the couch. I went to bed, only to be woken up again after 4 by a request for assistance. I set my alarm for 7 to call his work and report that he would not be in. Then I woke up a few hours later to call my friend and cancel our playdate.
Nathan's work called and begged him to come in later since they were understaffed, but it was impossible. He was no longer throwing up, but he couldn't eat or drink, and he was completely exhausted. I spent the day taking care of him, Annalee, and the car. I was fortunate to find a tow truck guy that would take our car to the repair shop for the price of our roadside assistance coverage (so it was free). Unfortunately, the cost to repair it will likely be far from free! (The battery is fine, I think it's the starter.)
In desperate need of some Retail Therapy, I decided to go to the grocery store and cash in on a great sale during Annalee's afternoon nap. I got into Nathan's car and . . .
(you just aren't going to believe this)
(I couldn't)
it didn't start. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Like the other car, the battery is fine, the lights and fans all come on, but the engine won't start. Our roadside assistance is used up, so we will have to pay to have it towed. We were planning a trip to Utah this month to visit some family we haven't seen in 7 months, but something tells me that our budget is shot, and we don't have a car besides!
Of course, things could always be worse, and there are several things I am thankful for:
1. It didn't die with me at a store with the baby, having just purchased a cart-load of groceries.
2. My brother will probably let us borrow his car to take Nathan to work in the morning (if he feels better).
3. I didn't get sick.
4. Baby didn't get sick.
5. Nathan is so miserable he doesn't notice his tooth pain anymore, which is good since he can't keep down medication!
6. Our insurance policy renews next week, so we could wait till then to have the car towed for free, even though it would use up our roadside assistance for the next year. Of course, then I will have to put the tow truck driver on my Christmas card list because we will be such good friends.
7. I have awesome parents who have offered lots of emotional support over the phone and out of germs-distance.
So there, Koreena, my Thankful Thursday.
Rain, rain, go away.
8 comments:
Man, I'm so sorry for everything that's been going wrong! Now I feel like an idiot for having such a hard time coming up with a list today. You're problems definitely outweigh mine! Thanks for finding something to be thankful for anyway!
By the way, if you do sometime miraculously make it to Utah, feel free to stop by! :) Amazingly, I still have never even met Nathan.
"hmm, the baby's asleep early and it's our anniversary, so now Nathan and I can--
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGCHHH!!!!!"
Aww, man!! And you were so close to playing online games together!
Let me know if you need some help anytime next week. While I'm in town for school without the kids, I will find some time to do errands with you, if you'd like. Also, perhaps Jessica can pick up Steven for work so Nathan can use his car.
You have our #'s, lets us know!
I hate having to take care of hubby and baby! To add more unpplesant news Nathans tooth sounds like a root problem- I had similar constant pain which went away w/root canal. Anyway good luck!
What luck! Does the saying go,"after the rain comes the rainbow"? I hope your rainbow is very bright to make up for the yucky week.
rain rain go away, and lets pray it doesn't come back another day!
GOODNESS! Happy anniversary though. Let me know if you need a ride or some moral support! I am just around the corner.
I am so grateful that you broke down at your home and not on the street or with baby girl in some cold parking lot. I am so grateful that you are able to somehow come up with the money to repair the cars. I am so grateful that you have cars. I am so grateful that you have options, and health and happiness. And I am so grateful that you have a pity party, get over it and then realize how grateful you are too.
I am also grateful for the opportunity to mention for 10 or 15 years how your lousy parents only give you emotional support over the phone and out of germs-distance. ;>
Post a Comment