I just watched Fireproof this week, and I have to say it is the best movie I have seen in YEARS. I rented it again two nights later so Nathan could watch it with me. We both really enjoyed it. It was action-packed (certain fire-fighting parts had me on the edge of my seat) and had awesome acting (who knew the kid from Growing Pains was such a good actor?) but the best part, of course, was the message. Any other movie that started with the plot "A couple starts having marital problems and is thinking about divorce" would end with "and they both find the person they are supposed to be with and live happily ever after, probably as boyfriend and girlfriend." It is refreshing to watch a movie that supports marriage instead of trivializing it. I cried at several parts, both times I watched it. My favorite quotes were "Don't trust your heart; your heart can be deceived. You have to lead your heart," and "Most people say 'For better or for worse' but they really only mean 'For the better'." Hollywood tells us that you should follow what you feel: if you love someone, you should marry them (NOT ALWAYS TRUE!), if it feels good, do it. But the gospel teaches us to "school our feelings" and "bridle our passions." We are responsible for controlling our own behavior and changing the way we feel if it is not appropriate. Even though this movie was not made by LDS people, it almost could have been. Why aren't there more movies like this?
The best message I took from the movie was this: until we have a relationship with Christ we won't know what love really is, and won't be able to give it to someone else.
Although (thankfully) Nathan and I are not having any problems like the couple in the movie, it has helped us to make a more conscious effort to show love to each other; everyone needs a reminder now and then.
Now, go see this movie! (Use a Redbox code, my frugal followers!)
3 comments:
This is a "must-see" for every couple, no matter if your marriage is wonderful or could use some help. We saw this at the theater a few months back and loved it!!!! Also be sure to watch Facing The Giants!!! Another great movie!
Hmmm...maybe we'll go rent this right now. Didn't have any other plans tonight.
Well, we watched it. We didn't absolutely love it like you, but we enjoyed it. :)
Thanks for the free codes by the way. :)
Post a Comment