Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Couple Walks Into a Pub . . .

Three years ago on a cold February night, Nathan and I were nearing the end of our first day as a married couple. We had been sealed in the Idaho Falls Temple for time and all eternity that morning. For the ring exchange at our luncheon we sang a song that I had written; it talked about how our wedding rings symbolized our eternal love for each other and our determination to live righteous lives so we could always be together. That evening we held a reception at our local church building. Surrounded by well-wishing friends and family we celebrated the beginning of our new life. After such a wonderful, spiritual day, where should we go?

Brownstone Restaurant & Brew Pub, of course!
Okay, in our defense, here's what happened: We left the reception in Rigby and went to the Red Lion Hotel in Idaho Falls, where we would be staying the night. It was after 9 p.m. and we were STARVING!!! not having eaten much since the luncheon in the middle of the day. We walked along the riverfront, trying to find a place to eat. We went to FOUR restaurants that were all in the process of closing, just trying to get rid of their last customers. The only thing nearby that was open was Brownstone. It felt a little funny to go into a pub (especially since we could see the temple glowing across the river) but it wasn't what I expected. It is actually a very nice, family-friendly restaurant that just happens to have a bar area and a giant beer-making machine. They treated the newly-weds very well, even giving us a free dessert. We decided to go back every year on our anniversary, and they always give us a free dessert!

This year there were three of us celebrating.
You can see the brewery stuff in the background. Annalee thought the whole thing was a lot of fun, until she realized that the waitress was on to her plans to throw everything on the floor, so she put all the food down out of reach.
The appetizer was soooooo good. We ordered the battered mushrooms, expecting a little plate with a handful of mushrooms on it like we get at other restaurants.
Oh, the golden goodness! I ate so many that I had to take my main course home in a box! The free carrot cake was delicious too, and so pretty.
You may remember that I was promising to tell you all why Nathan is "the most romantic, long-suffering, love-sick fool in the world!" I meant to tell you all about our anniversary right after it happened, but a few things distracted me. But now I'm finally getting around to it (like the last Christmas post).

When Nathan got home from work on our anniversary he surprised me with these beeeeeeautiful roses.
(I surprised him with a new haircut. You like? You like? It was FREE, thanks to my good friend Kimber!)

But the really cool, award-winning hubby move was what he did on my birthday as a combined birthday/anniversary gift. He told me to pack a bag for me and a different bag for the kid, and be ready to go when he got home. He he! We dropped Annalee off at the grandparents' and headed to the AmericInn in Rexburg, where we had spent the last night of our honeymoon! They have fantasy theme suites there. Three years ago we stayed in the Chivalrous Knight Suite. It was decorated sooo nicely, and the jetted tub and king sized bed were heavenly. This time we stayed in the Planet 10 Suite. It was decorated all up like you are in outer space. My favorite part was the fiberoptic lighting in the constellation in the ceiling.

It was so nice to have a night away from the responsibilites of mommy-hood. (This was the first night I've been away from my baby, and I didn't mind!) What a wonderful husband!

7 comments:

Danica said...

Happy anniversary. So glad you guys found eachother. You guys seem like such a great couple! Love the story of the pub. :)
p.s. We only will be moving if Nathan gets the job he wants. We'll just have to see. As for next weekend we should be around! We'd love to have you stop by or happy to meet you somewhere. Let us know.

Jessica Haddox said...

Happy anniversary! And, yes. I love the hair!

Jackson Family said...

happy anniversary you two, your haircut is darling. The inn looks like a lot of fun, it reminds me of the anniversary inn we stayed at the first night of our honeymoon, and for the anniversaries following while we were in Utah.

Keri said...

So fun to have a tradition of eating there for your anniversary. And props to your hubby for the night away. I think we should all get one once a month, don't you think?!

Keri said...

Oh yeah, and your hair looks great, too!!

Koreena said...

What a fun tradition. You look really cute in those pictures, by the way.

So you'll be in PG this weekend? We live in PG and would love to see you if you get the chance. I need to meet Nathan one of these days. :)

The Peine Family said...

That is so sweet! Now how do I drop a hint to Sean...