Remember that great show? I loved to watch it all the time when I was a kid. I thought he was pretty cute (and apparently so did a lot of girls, just Google his image and you will find tons of lovey-dovey wall paper devoted to the worship of him.) I also loved that he never killed anyone if he could help it. Recently I've been watching all the episodes in order, and it's opened up my way of thinking. I've always been creative at solving problems, but lately, more so. Unfortunately, I don't have MacGyver's knowledge of chemistry (so no bombs, bummer) but for the layman there are a lot of things you can do with just the stuff you find around you.Today I was babysitting a friend's kid who is one month younger than Annalee. I decided to take them both to the store--boy, what an eye-opener that was! First of all, Winco does not have carts with two child seats. I put the smaller kid in the seat, and put Annalee in the main basket. She was content to sit for a while, but in the bulk bin section she kept trying to stand up. So I pulled a string of 6 plastic bags off the roll and used them as a rope to make a seatbelt for Annalee as she sat in the back of the cart! Later, in the loooooong checkout line, we all got thirsty. I grabbed a bottled water, but I didn't have a sippy cup. That's okay, because I just pulled out my handy pocket knife (mine is pink and much smaller than MacGyver's) and cut an X into the lid. The water didn't leak out unless you sucked on it. Magic sippy cup!
I have to admit, I was pretty proud of myself. What kind of stuff have you MacGyvered lately?
3 comments:
A climbing harness! I made my adult-sized rock climbing harness fit my 2-year old and 4-1/2 year old by making an upper body harness out of spare webbing and some quick draws. Now they won't fall out of the harness if they turn upside-down! Don't freak out--this is actually a legitimate way to make a harness.
Diapers! Here's a money-saving tip: If your super-human powers rip the sticky tab off the disposable diaper you are putting on your kid, then just put a second diaper over it to hold it on. Bonus: when you change her next, you will only need the wet wipes; she's carrying her own spare diaper!
That's great! I love the diaper idea!
Now THAT is MacGyver-ish. I'm impressed!!
Post a Comment