Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Favorite Nativity

I have always loved Nativities. I think all kids do. What's not to love about something, small, cute, breakable, and forbidden? As I was growing up, my mom had a ceramic set my Grammy had painted to look like carved wood. Whenever she wasn't looking I would take down baby Jesus and just hold him.Like Annalee likes to do now (although she waits for me to get it for her).
Later on, my Grammy (who paints ceramics better than anyone I've ever seen) made another, larger set for my mom.
For years I've stared at this set, comparing others to it and finding they come up short. Usually, because they are too small. But also, because mass-manufactured sets never have this kind of detail.
I love how the poor family and shepherds are all in neutral colors,

And the three kings are in silver, gold, and velvet, even their camels.
When my Grandpa van der Beek died my parents got his dutch Nativity set, so this year they decided to give me this one! I was so excited! It is up high, on the top of the piano, protected from the cat by a radio collar emitter and from Annalee by threats of eternal time-out. (Plus, she has her own Little People Nativity.)
I am so grateful to have something so special from my mom and my Grammy,
to remind me of the greatest gift of all.

1 comment: