Annalee liked playing with us. (And beating us, presumably.)
We were going to stay for the egg hunt the Fling was hosting, but it was getting close to nap time and Annalee had a balloon so she was happy enough without more candy.
That afternoon Nathan spent several hours on the yard mowing, weed-eating, and edging. I love to watch my handsome man at work!
Whatever. I think it's adorable.
Now everyone but Mommy is taking a nap. We will end the day with Easter Dinner at Grandma and Papa 'Beek's house.
Several times this weekend I've thought about the Resurrection of Jesus Christ and what it means for me. I tried to explain it to Annalee this morning when she was hanging out with me while I fed Vander. I told her that Jesus died, but then he was resurrected, he lived again so that we could all live again. "Wasn't it nice of Jesus to help us?" "Jesus will help us die?" "No, He will help us live again after we die." Then I told her about her great-grandma and grandpa van der Beek, Papa 'Beek's parents. I told her that they were dead right now, but that someday we will get to see them again and we'll all be alive. I know she doesn't get it right now, but someday she will. Someday when she loses someone she loves she will be able to stave off despair and embrace peace because of the knowledge of the gift of the Resurrection. In high school I wrote an Easter hymn that tries to capture the joy I feel when I think of Christ's victory over the grave.
Upon an early Easter morn
the Lamb of God lay slain and shorn
within a tomb of stone,
within a tomb of humble stone
that made, as if, to be His throne
and end the blessed story.
the Lamb of God lay slain and shorn
within a tomb of stone,
within a tomb of humble stone
that made, as if, to be His throne
and end the blessed story.
But, glory to the Lamb of Light!
His coat grew back a mantle white.
And, oh! The joy that conquered death!
And, oh, the joy that conquered death
and took an Easter morning breath
to usher in His glory.
His coat grew back a mantle white.
And, oh! The joy that conquered death!
And, oh, the joy that conquered death
and took an Easter morning breath
to usher in His glory.
5 comments:
Sounds great! My kids got the same shovel set from my mom. I never really liked grass either. My basket is as pathetic as yours compared to everyone elses. I have to say it's hard to find cute boy clothes they are not near to fun to dress up as girls (one reason I was happy to hear a girl would be coming to our house.
love the pillowcase dress, and Vander's tie. Looks like a great Easter-and your silk dyed egss-ingenious! They look fabulous, and fun! I'll have to try that next year.
Whenever I do Emily's hair for church, we sing songs or I tell her stories to help her be patient when it takes a long time. This Sunday, I told her the Easter story, but when I told her that Jesus died, she started crying. She tried to hide it, and insisted that she had just gotten hair in her eyes, but she couldn't stop sniffling and wiping her eyes. She just couldn't believe that anyone would want to kill Jesus. But she was very happy to learn that he rose from the dead, and said, "So we don't have to be sad anymore?"
I think that kids understand more than we think they do when we teach them about the gospel. Annalee is certainly lucky to have such a wonderful mother who is also an amazing teacher!
Oh yes, and I wanted to comment several posts ago how I've recognized nearly every outfit in the pictures you post of Vander. Hehe!
The nerdy look is very cute. And I love Annalee's deer-in-the-headlights look.
Post a Comment