Please note: I have only ever been fishing one time, when I was, like, seven. I hooked a fish, my Grampy took the rod from me and reeled it in, and then I saw the struggling fish and felt so bad for it that I told him to let it go.
Today my child gifted me two dead fish. They went in a sack on a shelf in the fridge. Every time I opened the door their little dead eyes stared at me balefully. I decided they would have to either get cooked today or be buried. So I quickly Googled "grill trout" and "clean fish" and watched several instructional videos on YouTube. (Seriously, what did I ever do before the internet?) Armed with that knowledge I was ready to cut fins, snap bones, peel skin, rinse blood, and throw a lemon pepper foil packet on the grill.
The procedure wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And the fish was really pretty good, considering that we are not big on any kind of fish. We decided we would do it again, as long as Mommy never has to kill the fish.
5 comments:
I wish I had known about this sooner. My kids would have loved it! Then again, if they caught one, I'd feel obligated to eat it. I'm not so fond of trout.
Great job, Annalee! That's pretty impressive that she caught one her first time out!
You didn't need the internet for cooking instructions:
Les poissons, Les poissons
How I love les poissons
Love to chop and to serve little fish
First I cut off their heads
Then I pull out the bones
Ah mais oui ca c'est toujours delish
Les poissons, Les poissons
Hee hee hee, Haw haw haw
With the cleaver I hack them in two
I pull out what's inside
And I serve it up fried
How I love little fishes, Don't you?
Here's something for tempting the palate
Prepared in the classic technique
First you pound the fish flat with a mallet
Then you slash through the skin
Give the belly a slice
Then you rub some salt in
'Cause that makes it taste nice...
The rest of the recipe is for crab, so I'll stop there.
LOL, Mike, that song was going through my head as I cooked the fish!
This is soooooo awesome! First that Nathan wanted to do this with Annalee. Second that Annalee was not traumatized for life over killing, gutting and eating a fish. And third that you allowed those stinky things in the house, the fish I mean. Love ya!
More awesome than her catching a fish is the fact that the ranger killed and gutted it!
Post a Comment