"Mommy, I just really want you to play a game with me!"
"How about if I sing you a song before you go back to bed?"
I helped her finish washing up and then we snuggled together on my recliner. She was muttering something and I asked her to repeat it.
"I'm a big sister, no matter how old Vander gets I will always be his big sister." That was a conversation we'd had a few days ago.
I sang her a song I made up on the spot about what a good sister she is, what a good daughter, how much her parents love her. She fell asleep before I was done, with her head nestled in my shoulder. I was going to carry her back to bed, but instead, I just held her, rocking and thinking.
Tonight I put a three year old to bed. Tomorrow morning a four year old with wander out and say in a high voice "Good morning, Mommy!"
I thought about what kind of a mom I have been. What kind of a mom I am now. What kind I really want to be.
I'm not a bad mom. But I could be better. And what is the main thing that is holding me back? The computer. I rely on it too much to entertain Annalee. I spend to much time on it myself--time I should be tickling and playing with my kids. Two years ago when Annalee was two we made some big changes to try to stop me from relying on movies to entertain Annalee. And here we are--two years later--with the same problem with the computer. She's twice as old as she was then, but things haven't changed as much as I'd like. Do I want things to still be this way when she is twice as old as she is now?
It occurs to me that even though I want to be a stay-at-home mom I haven't fully embraced it. I have been trying to hang on to things that I had before motherhood, mainly, the time to pursue my own interests whenever I want (books, computer, games, phone calls, etc.) Those things are still possible during motherhood, of course, but just not to the degree that they were before. I have been trying to have it both ways.
But that leaves me with a problem: the things I value in a good mom are not the things I am doing.
I'm not talking about some ridiculous, unattainable perfection. I'm not trying and failing. I'm just not trying in a lot of cases. Now, my kids are loved, well-fed, and taken care of. They are happy. But they are missing out on the kind of mom I could really be if I tried.
When Annalee cried and asked me to play a game with her, my first thought was to chalk it up to her nightly crazy-talk. (She has also cried about being squished like a worm.) But as I sat there rocking her I thought of all the times during the day when I am doing something I enjoy and she interrupts me, Mommy, will you play a game with me? Mommy, can I help you make dinner? Mommy, I want you to come watch this show with me. Mommy, can I sit on your lap? Mommy, look at me do this!
I'm more interested in my stuff than their stuff. I don't like to play kids' games. I get really really really bored with many of the things they find interesting. But I need to change my attitude. In the same way I changed my perceptions about eating, I need to change my perceptions about spending time with my kids. I don't like vegetables. But after eating them a lot and working to alter my thinking, I enjoy them much more. It was really hard to give up all the junk food because I LIKED it. It will be hard to give up my more selfish pursuits because I like them too. But I can change. I will be better for it. And so will my children.
I carried her back to bed and covered her up with her pink horsey blanket. Then I whispered "I love you" to my three year old for the last time.
10 comments:
:) I like you.
I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from. I do.
And I love your attitude about the change. I was really touched by what you wrote...
Thanks, gals.
I too am guilty of allowing too much screen time to keep my kids out of trouble while I clean, or at least to keep them quiet while I put the baby down (ok and also to put off getting them breakfast and snatching a few more zzz's in the morning). However, this morning (Sunday) my 4 year old came into my room begging to play games on the ipod (a regular morning ritual until younger brothers wake up) but since we don't play games on Sunday, I had to tell him no and his first reaction was to say that he hated Sundays, and then he told me he was never going to talk to me again. Yikes. What am I doing to my kids?! So, we're basically following Bishop's advice to turn off the electronics for two weeks, and we'll see how that goes. Sadly, it will either make me into a good mom, or a really really bad one. Wish me luck!
P.S. You're a good mom to even recognize the problem.
Thanks for being a good example to me.
Wonderful post. This is something I struggle with all the time and have been more reflective about the last few weeks. I do try daily to be better at being present for them, but I know I'm not near where I should be. Jossy watches WAY too much TV and movies and is always asking to play computer games. Probably because that's where Mommy is a lot, even though I'm doing things that have to get done. *Sigh* Such a hard balance.
Ditto. Seems like a constant struggle. Thanks for the reminder. I'm getting of my laptop right ..... now.
Yes, Laura, that message from the Bishop was screaming at us. We started our 2 weeks with no electronics (while the kids are awake) today. Maybe we're cheating to still do stuff after they are asleep, but I need to pay bills, and keep up on emails about the house we're buying, and.....how many excuses can I come up with?
Going two weeks without computers tends to effect people, especially kids, in the following ways.
Phase 1: I'm bored. There's nothing to do. Why can't I play on it. This is unfair. I hate this. ect.
Phase 2: "Can I play on it? Well then can I play this (non computer related game)?"
Phase 3: Lets play monopoly!...
Well you get the idea. Everyone hates not getting on the computer. Much like too much TV or having a particular snack all the time, you will suffer withdrawl symptoms. As anyone can tell you I'm probably the biggest computer addict in my family. However, even I take brakes from it. Sometimes even a week or two though most wouldn't notice. :P
You make me cry. For all the right reasons. Love you.
Wow Steve, you make me proud too.
Post a Comment