Friday, October 17, 2008

Love-Apple Pie














Today I made a Love-Apple Pie. Yes, I do love apple pie (if it's a good one) but the hyphen here indicates that it is a pie made out of love apples. Does anyone know what a love apple is?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I hear the furious clicking sound of Googling . . .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Love Apples are tomatoes! This pie was made out of hard, green tomatoes that I picked right before the frost. I just cut them up like apples and substituted them in an apple pie recipe. I found the idea on the internet. Sounds crazy, you say? I thought so too, but I was so curious that I had to try it, and it turned out to be excellent! My husband just kept saying how good it was, and he didn't even realize they weren't apples. When you think about it, tomatoes are actually a fruit, and green apples and tomatoes both have a lot of acid, so I guess it works! I know a lot of you have green tomatoes up the wah-zoo, so why don't you give it a try too?


Love Apple Pie
www.backwoodshome.com (I changed the name)

5 cups hard green tomatoes, sliced
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch salt
2 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. butter, melted

Choose hard green tomatoes that are very dark; don’t use any with a hint of yellow. I peel mine, but you don’t have to. Peel like an apple; don’t attempt to dip into boiling water as when you can tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes like you would an apple for pie. Then toss dry ingredients well with slices.
Place in an unbaked, chilled 9-inch pie crust. Cover with the top crust and bake at 350° until done (30-40 min). Serve warm with homemade French vanilla ice cream. But don’t tell ‘em what they’re eating—until the raves have died down.



(I used light green tomatoes, by the way, and they turned out fine.)

I love most pies, but a bad (cardboard) crust can totally ruin everything. In college I took a cooking class and the expert chef shared her own fabulous crust recipe with us. I love love love it! But it's long to type, so I'll only post it on here if someone requests it. Maybe you all already have a favorite crust recipe.

2 comments:

Koreena said...

I never would have even thought of using tomatoes. That's funny. Glad it turned out so good!

Jessica Haddox said...

I just can't wrap my head around the idea of pie made from green tomatoes. I don't have any anyhow. No room for a garden here. Maybe I'll have to tell my mom about this though.