Wednesday, October 1, 2008
100 Miles
At the beginning of the year my sister challenged me to walk 100 miles this summer, and I did it! One hundred miles may not seem like a very big accomplishment for some people, but for me it really was. I'm not a very active person. In fact, I'm probably more likely to become radioactive than physically active! (I do live near the INL, after all!) But I really took this challenge on. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. The greatest part of it all to me is not the 100 miles, but that I followed through and finished. One of the things I dislike most about myself is my tendency to start things but not finish. I don't usually break promises to others, but promises to myself (or goals) are often cast aside when it gets too inconvenient. For example, in 2006 when President Hinckley challenged everyone to read the Book of Mormon before the end of the year, I decided to do it. I'd once read the book in 2 weeks, so four months should be a breeze, right? Well, it wasn't. I could blame it on a lot of things, but the truth is that I didn't follow through. So, even though I was 9 months pregnant for the first month of this challenge, and recovering from a C-section for the second, I knew I had to do it. Those 100 miles were filled with rain, cold, wind, heat, sunburn, dog droppings, waddling, belly-holding, stroller pushing, baby wailing, and one instance of the dog knocking the stroller over because he was tied to it. (She was okay.) I'm finally done. Hooray! Now, what should my next goal be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's great you accomplished your goal! I'm the same way, letting personal promises fall by the wayside. Good for you!
Way to go! You inspire me!
Wow! Congratulations! I won't tell you how many things I've started and never finished... *cough* I'm impressed that you did it even with the baby. I use my kids as an excuse all too often.
Post a Comment