Sunday, January 4, 2009

I'll take an XS and an XL

Last week I got a visit from Koreena who writes the Tales from the Crib blog. (Isn't that a great name?) We were roommates back in the 1999-2000 year at Ricks College along with Danica and Rachel. Those girls are my bosom buddies, the kind that you can go for years without seeing and then just pick up right where you left off.When Koreena and I first met I was wearing the skirt you see in this picture, with colored ribbons braided into my hair. I was also wearing a tasseled shawl, I think. Unbeknownst to her, I was on my way to try out for a choir, and since my song was a gypsy song I thought I'd play the part. She just thought I was insane, and was wondering how she was going to get along with this mentally- and fashionably-challenged roommate. She didn't have the courage to tell me her original thoughts until she got to know me better and realized that I really am crazy and fashionably-challenged, but that I'm okay with it. Later on I infected my roommates with my desire to dress up and make a fool of myself in public when we sang a song I'd written for a ward talent show.
It was called "Don't Trust Those Boys," a zany song where we each sang about boys who had done us wrong. Danica, our biker chick, sang about Johnny who "was only fakin' like he was makin' to stay." Rachel (hidden) was in a prom dress, singing about Jared who "said he care-ed, but then he marr-ed some other girl." Koreena was wearing my mother's wedding dress and bemoaning Steven who "had me believe'n that we'd be leave'n on our honeymoon. But he left me at the altar. I hope that lightning strikes that goon!" I was dressed in p.j.'s with mascara streaked down my cheeks, sobbing about Ryan who "left me cryin' with all the lyin' that came to my ears." He bought me a boxful of toilet paper for my tears, but it was only one-ply. Cheapskate! The real clincher was when Danica started singing about Andrew, who, it turns out, had also left the rest of us. It was a truly funny song, and we had a blast doing it. Ah, memories.

Aaaaanyway, so Koreena came to visit, and while we didn't dress up or sing, we still had a great time. (Oh yeah, I just remembered that I did sing. I guess I'm incurable!) Koreena brought her youngest child, Jossie, who is just one month younger than Annalee.
The girls had a lot of fun playing.And so did the mommies.
It was funny to see them together because even though they are only a month apart there is a big size difference. Jossie is in the 5th percentile for weight and Annalee is over 100%. Neither one is average, so it's kind of like comparing Robin and Sweetums. Remember this movie?
But for us, they're just right.It was so good to see you, Koreena! Thanks for letting me steal the pictures from your blog!

3 comments:

Koreena said...

How funny. I totally didn't remember the first time we met until you wrote all the details. I don't remember thinking you were crazy, but I guess if I told you that then maybe I did. lol Now I just think you're one of the most fun and creative people I know! :)

Koreena said...

By the way, I bought the supplies to make a tutu. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for showing me. :)

Rachel said...

oh I wish so badly I could hang out with you, Koreena and Danica--I love you ladies!