Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Aunts

I love my aunts. They are so good to me. Here are three of them at my wedding, on the right in red, in blue, and in black. All three of them came, even though none of them live close by and it was February--brrr!




My Aunt Jessie even wore the "Cinderella Hat" I'd made for her from some leftover bridesmaids fabric.

(Like the Roger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella in 1965--classic!)

But there is one aunt that I do not like very much. I had never even heard of her until I was 13 or so, and then she showed up one day unannounced and unwelcome. She only stayed for a few days, but the next month she was back again, and from there she decided to visit me on a regular basis. It's not that she's inherently bad, but for some reason I always feel grumpy whenever she drops in. I get tired, I get headaches and other problems, just putting up with her. After the first few years I began to know when to expect her, but sometimes she throws a wrench in my planning and comes at random times: during vacations, when I've planned time with my friends, when I want to have fun or go swimming.

And instead, I'm stuck with her.

At least she didn't come to my wedding--I made sure of that! In the summer of 2007 she missed one of her periodic visits--and then another, and another. I thought I might finally be rid of her, but a few days ago she suddenly dropped in, thinking we could pick things up right where we'd left off after a year and a half. Eighteen months was not long enough to go without seeing Aunt Flo.

7 comments:

Koreena said...

LOL That's so funny. At least you got to go this long. She came back to visit me months ago!

Rachel said...

As I was reading the post, I couldn't figure out how you could be so rude to one of your aunts, I didn't think that sounded like the Sandi I knew at all. I should have known the story was going to have a creative hilarious twist to it. And 18 months is quite a long time to not have that particular aunt visit I think. Thanks for the funny post.

M A Haddox said...

I think I have to check with Jessica on this one.. but is this a "womanly thingy" reference?

If so, thank you to Rachel for giving me a hint on the time limit.. but it took me awhile, thinking, "Of course she wouldn'
t visit Sandi while she was on her mission..."

If I'm still off base -- oh, well.

Sandi said...

[evil laughter]

Danica said...

That is funny!!! What a creative twist to your post.

Jessica said...

Yah you're lucky mine came back 6 wks after Miriam though she is back on vacation now.;)

Sandi said...

Congratulations, Jessica!