It kinda looks like Christmas....
But it's Grandpa Henle's Birthday!
We met at Uncle John and Aunt Michele's house for dinner and cake. (Of course, I don't have any pictures of them or my Aunt Niki, who was also there. Typical me.) We had a yummy dinner by Aunt Michele and Uncle John insisited that we each have a Burger King smoothie since they were on a special for $1 each that day. So Nathan and Niki ran to BK and got us all a smoothie. They were good. I guess I don't despise all BK food afterall. While dinner was cooking, I tried to keep the kids entertained. We turned on their favorite show, Phineas & Ferb. It's also one of our favorite shows, as well as Uncle John's. It is so cleverly written, with little jokes and tidbits thrown in that go over kids heads but make adults giggle with the witticisms. Grandpa is hard of hearing, so we had to turn up the tv as loud as it would go. Grandpa had never seen the show before, and unfortunately, it was the very latest episode of the very latest season. In other words, the show was full of references and inside jokes you would only get if you'd been watching for three years. Grandpa was bewildered. (Truthfully, he is quick to denounce anything he thinks is dumb, so I don't think he gave it much of a chance.) He just kept saying, "John watches this? This cartoon? John likes this? I can't believe John likes this!" His hints became even more pronounced as he pointed out that the kids were ignoring the show. (I think when the volume reached jet engine level they had to tune it out.) Finally, laughing to myself, I said, "Grandpa, would you like me to put on something else?" "Well, YES!" he said, and repeated all the reasons why it was a dumb show. Okay, okay, it's your birthday! After dinner, we opened presents. What do you get for someone who's 80? Chocolate, of course!
Vander was very excited about helping Grandpa open presents.
And about practicing his "cheese" face.
A lot.
We're lucky to have Grandpa after he had several heart attacks and major heart surgery a few years ago. You're probably thinking, then why are you giving him chocolate and cake? We're just giving him what he eats anyway. I guess when you're 80 you can decide how you want to go! We hope he hangs around a lot longer, though.
Happy 80th, Grandpa!
1 comment:
Wow your kids are looking OOOOOOld!
Post a Comment