Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Hard Lesson

I teach the 11 year old children in my church congregation for Sunday School.   I think it's an awesome age--they are starting to think more about the world around them and they are capable of more interesting discussions than younger kids...if only they would ever pay attention!  The downside of the age is that they are super-chatty with each other.  I have a hard time holding their attention.  Also, they are starting to get "too cool" to do things like open their scriptures.

I have eight kids that are regularly in class: 4 boys and 4 girls.  Every one of them brings their scriptures every Sunday.  But when I say, "Turn to 3rd Nephi Chapter 13" they are on another planet.  Even if I give them the page number I repeat myself a bunch of times to get the other conversations to die down and tell the kids where we are at in the lesson.

But I don't let this deter me.  I do fun things to try to make the lessons cool.  I change up how I teach each week to keep it unboring.  I bear my testimony so they will know how important this is to me.  And every week I give them a challenge to do before the next week.  How many times has someone done the challenge?  Yep.  Zero.

So the week before last, after a great lesson on the Savior's visit to the Americas, I encouraged the kids to read the chapter we had just talked about before next Sunday.  "You'll be glad if you do," I said.

"Why?  What do we get?" someone asked.

"Oh, I don't know.  Maybe just blessings from heaven.  You never know," I said.

Last Sunday I brought brownies.  And I asked who had read the chapter.

It was sooooo sad.

And soooooo funny!

They begged.  They pleaded.  They whined.  They groaned.  They cajoled.  They tried to distract me and steal them.  They promised to read it later.  They promised to read it right then.  They tried to tell me it was still Sunday, so if they read it right now (LOOK!  I'm reading it!) it would still count.  Right?

Most incredibly, they really seemed to think that I was going to give in and let them have the brownies anyway.

"But that means you made the brownies for nothing!" they wailed.

"Oh no!" I said.  "My family is going to be very, very happy that none of you read the chapter."

"Please!  PLEASE!!!"

Their protests were so loud and unending that I could hardly get a word in.  I kept trying to tell them about my new challenge for the next week.  (Choose one of the Beatitudes from the Sermon on the Mount and try to develop that quality during the next week.)

"Okay, okay, listen!" I said, loudly, and they all quieted down, thinking I was finally giving in.  "It is so sad that you didn't do my challenge last week.  Next week, we're all going to be back in this room again, and if you don't do my new challenge, how do you think you're going to feel then?"

"But just give us another chance this week!"

I chuckled softly and shook my head.  "This is a really hard lesson to learn, guys.  But when you die, and you're standing at the 'pearly gates', or whatever, you can't say 'Wait!  Give me another chance!  Send me back for just a minute and I'll be good, I'll be righteous real quick!'  Life isn't a test you can cram for.  You have to live it right, day by day."

Class ended, and I went to Sharing Time with the last girl in the class that hasn't turned 12 yet.  As soon as the other kids were gone she leaned over and asked, "So can I have a brownie?"

I laughed and laughed about the whole situation for the rest of the day.  They may have been 11 and 12 year olds, but they sounded just like 4 year old Annalee.  It was so hard not to laugh in front of them.

I am determined that if these kids learn nothing else this year, they are going to learn the law of the harvest!

(This week I made no-bake cookies.  Do you think I'll get to eat them myself?)

11 comments:

Keri said...

That is a hard lesson, but a great one. Good for you for sticking with it! I sure hope they learned something from it & get to enjoy the harvest this Sunday. :)

Christine said...

Awesome! That is such an important lesson to learn. Good for you for standing your ground. :)

Rachel Holloway said...

You are the greatest teacher on earth! Seriously, that is SO fantastic and they are lucky to have a teacher who cares SO much. :)

Tari said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! Way to go!!!

Heather H. said...

As soon as I was baptized, they put me in charge of the 11 & 12 year old girls (all two of them). It was kinda interesting, because the girls tended to know more about the lessons than I did. ;-) So... hey, why not? Every once in a while, I'd let THEM teach the lesson. =D They loved it, and definitely got a bit more involved - plus, they could see how hard it was to teach if the people you were teaching, were more interested in learning than in talking.

If I had a good enough class, I'd also make them the deal that we had to get through the lesson, and if they'd be quiet and listen and show me they understood the lesson, then they could talk for the rest of the class time.

All that aside, kudos for your idea, and kudos for sticking with it. =) Hopefully it works!

Just Mom said...

I love it!!!!

Laura said...

That'll teach them. Ha! I remember that age. What a terrible class we were --we went through so many teachers. My dad taught our class even, and one day he lost it and picked a kid up by his collar and threw him out the door. My Dad! (And no, I don't come from an abusive household.) Anyway, good job having such a good attitude about it and sticking with your guns.
And if you ever need to get rid of some extra desserts, you know where to find me... :)

Katherine Bettilyon said...

Awesome! that is a great lesson to learn.

Koreena said...

Love it! Way to stick to the point and not give in. I have the hardest time doing that with my kids. Today Jossy earned 50 cents for helping me wash the car while Matty was at a friend's house. He begged and pleaded for me to give him 50 cents too. It was hard not to give in but it just wouldn't be fair. Instead he's anxious to help with some kind of "extra" chore tomorrow to earn his own money. :)

I wish you were my Sunday school teacher! Cookies sound like good motivation to me! I recently told my RS (as 4th Sunday teacher) to bring their Ensigns and maybe they'd get rewarded. I gave out chocolate to the 8 who actually brought them. You can bet the numbers are up from that now. hee hee

Jennifer said...

So cute! I'd love to watch you in action as a teacher. hose kids are so lucky. Your ideas are great. Sidenote: we (obviously...) have internet again. I thought it would be longer (a month or two), but we teamed up with our neighbor and we're "splitting" internet, so it's cheap enough to keep.

Sandi said...

Great idea, Jennifer! I have thought about doing that before, but don't have any neighbors who we could really count on that way. But it makes so much sense!