Monday, July 16, 2012

On the Move

 The first weekend in June we moved from our rental to the new house.  We had a lot of good help getting loaded.  Unfortunately, we didn't have as much help getting unloaded.  (One guy and two teenagers showed up.  Yikes!  It was a lot of work!)
But we were so grateful for the help we did get at the rental.  My dad came with the pickup truck and helped so much.  The week before the move he and I (and sometimes just he) made several trips over with stuff in the pickup.  He also gave me great advice on the big moving truck.

 We were all sorry to see him go!
 Moving in was pretty exciting.  At one point Annalee was in the master bath.  She came running down to tell me she'd heard a "crash".  When I went to investigate I found that the cover for the light directly above the toilet had indeed crashed all over everything!  There were glass shards 10 feet away and I didn't have a broom at the new house yet!  I was just so glad I hadn't been sitting on the toilet when it fell!
 It brings to mind the way the toilet welcomed my mom to her new house when she moved to Rigby.  It fell through the floor!  I gotta be grateful for the little things!
Cleaning up the rental was no fun.  Of course, it never is, but the no-fun factor was increased exponentially by the fact that most of the mess was there before we moved in.  Like this petrified sludge under the fridge.

And the years-worth of dust on the fan and intake vents.  Weeeee!

8 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

haha, moving adventures for sure! I had no idea your light broke! how scary!!!

Laura said...

Ahh yes, the joys of moving... We'll be doing that again in a few weeks. Aren't you so glad you had some practice at my place earlier this spring? haha. Seriously though, thank you so much for your help. I wish I had been there to help you too.

Sandi said...

I was just paying it forward because so many people helped us last time and I felt really guilty about it. I guess that's all you can do!

Computer Guy said...

YAY! I somehow got out of having to move boxes and furniture! Loved the house Sandi. It was fun visiting you last week even if you did get sick.

Computer Guy said...

Also I hope the goodbye bump I put on poor Annalee's head has gone down. I felt soo horrible.

Just Mom said...

I love my family!

Sandi said...

I don't remember the bump. It must have gone away quickly. Loved having you here, Steve! Next time we'll get out more and have a lot of fun. But I did really enjoy our games of Worms Reloaded.

DIY Mom said...

Oy, cleaning the rental. I remember on our last apartment cleaning the whole place top to bottom because it was nasty when we moved in (and it was 4 wks after my c-section and us moving in with a preemie). I about slapped the manager when he gave me the cleaning list (like detail cleaning the stove etc). I told him how ridiculous that was considering the condition the place was in when we moved in. He called me a liar and insisted that it was spotless (wished I'd taken pics). I cleaned it again because we wanted our deposit back. It was horrid. This is the same guy that told me I was just overly sensitive when I informed him that the downstairs nieghbor's cigarrete smoke was venting straight into our apartment. It was ridiculous! Stay away from Pepperridge Apts in IF.