But I love my kids! So when Annalee found the cookie cutters in the Christmas box and kept begging to make them, I finally caved.
Why do I hate them? You make the dough. Then you have to wait while you chill it. Then it's really hard to roll it out. And when you cut out a shape, the dough gets stuck to either the table or the cutter. And if you leave the dough out of the fridge too long it starts to be impossible to mold. Then you try to cook them without burning them.
If you manage to get that far, you are supposed to frost them with too-sweet frosting that makes them practically inedible. We opted instead for colored sugar sprinkles, which are their own kind of torture. In the end, they actually looked pretty good, but they tasted not sweet enough. Is there any happy medium?
After cleaning up 30 cookie cutters and the messy table, I am ready to wait a good long time before we make them again.
In short, I know of no cookie that has such a low return on taste for the time and effort invested. Why would I make sugar cookies when chocolate chip cookies are so easy and so yummy?
4 comments:
Do you remember making them when you were a kid? The candy cane ones that we did and you twisted them into candy canes? I hate sugar cookies too, but I do love my kids.
I have the sugar cookie recipe for you! no chilling required & the whole process is just over an hour at our house. If you are interested let me know. Merry Christmas!
That's why we do press cookies at Christmas. (Although I never got around to them this year). The sugar sprinkles look cool settled into the lines on the snowman. However, who ever thought of making the snowman yellow? You know, you should never eat yellow snow. ;)
I know, I laughed when Vander picked yellow!
Post a Comment