So I had this great idea for my entryway. After living here for six months I finally decided how to organize our shoes and gloves and coats. I got a tote for each family member to put their stuff in. But what I really needed was a bench to put the totes under. And it quickly became apparent that no bench existed like what I wanted. So I would have to build it.
I went to Lowe's and bought three 10" x 8' boards. (If you have never built anything, it may come as a surprise to realize that whatever the measurements of wood are, they are rounded up. So if it SAYS it is 10" wide, it's probably only 8.5". Totally threw off my original calculations. I was just glad I'd brought a tape measure with me to the store!)
I went to Lowe's and bought three 10" x 8' boards. (If you have never built anything, it may come as a surprise to realize that whatever the measurements of wood are, they are rounded up. So if it SAYS it is 10" wide, it's probably only 8.5". Totally threw off my original calculations. I was just glad I'd brought a tape measure with me to the store!)
This is what the underside ended up looking like. If I had had more wood I would have spread the legs out a bit more. As it is, it rocks a little because the center of balance is in the middle. But the thing is so darn heavy there is no way it's going to accidentally fall over.
But it looks so nice! I was originally planning on sanding the edges to give it a distressed look, but I decided that's just not me.
I love how it turned out! From the height of an adult, everything is hidden away. And here you can see everything nicely tucked away underneath. The whole thing ended up costing me around $50 in materials. (It would have been less if I hadn't wasted money on the wrong sandpaper.) I was hoping to not spend that much, but I don't think I could buy a bench for that!
5 comments:
Just the start! With your creative thoughts turning to house projects... this is only the beginning!
Lovely! Great job!
Awesome! I wish I had room for an awesome long bench like that! You know that imitation is the highest form of flattery. Haha, mom said this is only the beginning...she must have missed the part where you said you were sick and pregnant. I am going to say, "Oh, it was just the one finishing touch your house needed! Now it's perfect!"
Sarah
Good for you! Sounds like something I would do. It turned out so nice!
GREAT JOB!! Now be sure and add electric sander to your birthday/mother's day/I am special day list. :)
Post a Comment