Saturday, December 15, 2012

Thanksgiving

We were so excited that my Mom and Dad got to come for Thanksgiving!  Steven had just gotten a new job, so he had to stay home in Idaho Falls and work. :(
 Somehow, Dad managed to stay out of any pictures.  We had a nice, big, yummy dinner.  It was my first time making a turkey but it went well!  The surprise of the dinner was the sweet potatoes, which I had cubed and coated with savory spices and then baked.  Everyone commented on how much they preferred them that way over the typical marshmallow-covered ones.  We were so busy enjoying the dinner that I didn't get any pictures.  But here is Vander finishing up with some pie.
 Or maybe just the whipped cream.  That kid loves cream.
 Thanks, Nathan.

I used some of the leftover turkey and pie crusts to make a turkey pot pie!


I kept the dinner preparations as simple as I could because I was suffering from some pretty bad morning sickness.  That's right, we're expecting our third little one next summer!
 Here is a rather unflattering picture of me at 10 weeks.   We will find out the gender of the baby in February.

My mom had already guessed I was pregnant but we'd decided to wait to tell my dad and the kids until Thanksgiving.  I thought and thought about creative ways to break the news and here's what I came up with.  After we'd been eating for a while, I suggested we go around the table and all share what we are thankful for.  I was the last person.  I said, "I'm thankful for my husband and three children."  Annalee was sitting across from me, and I saw her give me a strange look and hold up two fingers.  It was so funny!  She was probably thinking, "Wow, Mommy can't count.  But I don't want to embarrass her so I'm just going to hint at the correct number."  I gave her a big grin and said, "What are you trying to tell me, Annalee?  Did I count wrong?"  Suddenly Dad, at the head of the table, let out a meaningful "OHHHH!" as realization dawned.  It was so funny!

I had given the news to Nathan weeks before, of course.  I found out on a Monday.  I put a lot of thought into how and when I would tell him.  I finally decided to tell him on Wednesday when he'd be at work.  I figured a work day can always use some good news.  So I packed him a lunch and printed off a note with these guys on it

It said, "Thank you for working so hard for me and our three little Goombas."  We call our kids goombas as a pet name.  I anxiously waited all day for a call or a text from him.  Finally, I got a text asking me to bring his Kindle to work.  Wha?  Was this a clever ploy to get me there so he could express his excitement in person?  I dragged the kids to his clinic and gave him the Kindle but he didn't seem any happier than normal.  "Have you eaten lunch yet?" I asked.  "Yeah, they brought some food in to the clinic," he said.  When he saw my disappointed face he hastened to add "But I'll eat what you packed me later!"  Huh.  We went home and I waited and waited.  Then I got a text that said "I love you my Queen Goomba."  That's it?  Really?  I was just....expecting a little more.  Well, when I finally got to the root of the matter, he had only glanced at the note and it hadn't sunk in.  Then he'd thrown it away because it had food on it.  "YOU THREW IT AWAY?!" I said.  He rushed to dig it out of the trash and read it again.  "Sooooo....from Tavi too, then?"

Face. slap.

Yes, I had to spell it out for him.  Note to self: subtlety does not work.  When he finally understood the truth he was suitably excited.  Hmph.

The morning sickness only lasted until 11 weeks. Hooray for the second trimester!  My poor kiddos, they've had to put up with half of a mommy while I've been sick.  Every time they wanted me to play with them or do something I would be too sick or tired to do it.  At one point, Annalee very sadly said, "Mommy, I'm sorry you're sick.  Are you ever going to get better?"  Just about broke my heart!  Another time it was funnier, as she was convinced that she was sick too.  That's because I was drinking soda to try to calm my stomach.  She suddenly decided she felt sick too and said, "Mommy, I think I have the same sickness you do."  "No, dear," I said, "I'm pretty sure you don't!"

Nathan has been so sweet in helping me.  He has gotten up with the kids at night, even when he has to work the next day.  One night he was up with Annalee all night when she was throwing up, even though barf is one of the things he can stand the least.  He hunted down a place that sells ginger beer in hopes it would help me.  I love this man!


4 comments:

Jessica said...

Congrats! Morning sickkness gets better and better w/more kids as in harder to handle trying to take care of the other children. Miriam has entertained w/some her preceptions of pregnancy, kids are pretty funny.

Keri said...

Congratulations!

Laura said...

Ha ha, men are so clueless. How did the kids take it?

Koreena said...

Love how you told your family. I've learned subtly never works over here either! When I was pregnant with Lacey I wrote on Jossy's diaper in black marker "Big Sister" then asked Dan to change her diaper. He changed her without even looking at the diaper! I had to grab it from him and put it in his face to read! LOL We had Jossy wear a "Big Sister" shirt all day at my mom's soon afterwards and NO ONE NOTICED IT!