Friday, May 11, 2012

Crazy Party

When I was little we got a "friend" birthday party only on even years (8, 10, 12, etc.) and had a family party on the odd years.  I think that is an excellent idea for making those even birthdays extra special and cutting down on the craziness of too many parties.  So the day before Annalee's 4th birthday she got her first friend party ever.

I have many talented friends who have done some amazing parties for their kids, with fantastic cakes.  I rather pride myself on my creativity, so I knew I could pull off something just as awesome.  I asked Annalee what kind of party she wanted and she said "Blues Clues."  I immediately went searching online for awe-inspiring Blues Clues cakes.  Annalee interrupted my self-aggrandizing dream when she said "I really want cupcakes."  CUPCAKES?  Really?  Then I realized that this party is supposed to be about her and what makes her happy.  So I abandoned my elaborate plans and kept everything very simple.  (Well, almost everything.  You'll see.)

I couldn't find Blues Clues anything at the store, so I bought the 99 cent package of birthday invitations and made them Blues Clues by gluing on construction paper circles.  (I cut out 80 darn circles!)
 We delivered the invitations on an oppressively humid afternoon.  I would wait in the car while Annalee would run up to the house and ring the bell.  After the first few houses the storm broke with an unbelievable amount of water.  Poor Annalee got soaked!  After that it started hailing but I didn't make her go out in the hail.

The day of the party, Annalee was sooooo excited.
We had invited 13 kids.  Yes, 13.  There are a few reasons for that.  First, we didn't get around to inviting anyone until 5 days before the party.  I figured a lot of people would have other plans.  Also, Annalee doesn't have many friends yet.  So I started inviting kids from church.  And once you start inviting members of a Primary class, where do you stop?  At least I didn't invite the 11 kids from preschool!  But like I said, it was very last minute, so I was sure some wouldn't be able to come.
 Um, I was wrong.
 I was too busy during the party to count, but when I looked at the pictures later I discovered that (counting Annalee and Vander) we had had 14 kids at our house!  (Never got them all together in one picture.)  Whew!  (That sheet is where they had to sit while they ate the cupcakes.)
 Vander thought the cake was top-notch.
 Jasmine (Annalee's cousin) was shy the whole time.  What a cutie!
Annalee got tons of really nice presents.  In fact, I was a little shocked at how expensive some of them must have been.  I had told most of the parents "seriously, buy something from the dollar store--Annalee will love it no matter what."  Well, I guess it's their money.  I hope they don't think I'm a cheapskate for the gifts I get their kids!
I didn't do bags of party favors because I wanted to keep things simple.  So each kid got one of those punching balloons.  I think half of them popped before the kids left (from sitting on them, letting them touch the grass--one even popped while someone was blowing it up) but they had a lot of fun!

Looking back, we will definitely invite fewer kids next time.  And keep it to an hour.  (90 minutes was waaaaay too long.)  Thank goodness Nathan was there!  Still, Annalee had a blast at her first friend birthday party, and that's what matters!

2 comments:

Laura said...

The boys loved it! You're way more ambitious than I am. I am hoping I can get away without any parties until the kids are older and start begging for them. I like the even/odd idea.

Koreena said...

Matty's the only one who's had a friend party here and just one. They're sooooo much work. Great job!