Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Oops

The other day Nathan asked if I'd noticed that Annalee's tennis shoes were falling apart.  Yes, yes, they look bad, but kids trash their shoes.  We'll get her some new ones later.  (Or maybe we'll get hand-me-downs.)  But then, a few days later, I really looked at her shoes while she was wearing them.  Not only were they falling apart,

but her TOES were coming out the front of them!  They were waaaaay too small.
We went to Walmart to get some new ones.  I looked at her current shoes.  Size 9.  Then I sized her feet on the chart.  Size 11!  What?!  SIZE ELEVEN!!!!!  And suddenly, I remembered her telling me--many, many times--whenever we are on a walk that her feet hurt.  I always said, "I know honey.  We're almost there," and kept walking.  See, I thought it was the bottoms of her feet that hurt from doing more walking than she was used to.  We've been doing a LOT of walking.  And Annalee has been doing all of it in pinchy, tight, horrible shoes that are TWO sizes too small! 

Ohhhhhhh I feel like such a bad mom!  (I know I'm not.  But I still feel like it.)

She didn't want to put her old shoes back on after trying on the new ones.  (Can't blame her.)  But I convinced her that we had to buy them first.  We bought them and then sat down on a bench near the registers and took off the tags.  She got to wear her new Dora flashing sneakers out of the store.  We went home and threw the old ones in the trash.  Time to do some more walking!

4 comments:

Keri said...

Oh, Sandi, those are bad! Ha ha ha. I bet Annalee will be so much happier on walks now!

Just Mom said...

I have said this before and will again, that will not be the worst thing you do!

Computer Guy said...

OOPS! Well I've seen worse shoes.. granted it's been on adults that don't want to buy another set because this pair is "comfy" or "broke in"... more like broken. Good thing you noticed though. Too small of shoes can cause other issues if worn alot. Take it from me she doesn't want those issues.

Neoma said...

It seems like my boys have always grown two sized before I get them new shoes. I'm sure she'll survive. And all she'll remember about the experience is that you bought her awesome Dora light up shoes and let her wear them out of the store.