Friday, February 19, 2010

Great Balls of Fire

The other day I had just put a cake in the oven when I heard what sounded like the garbage disposal chewing up something that didn't want to be chewed.  

But it was coming from the oven.  

I opened the oven and found a bright white, sparking (hence the noise) ball of fire moving slowly around the bottom baking element.  I turned off the oven and ran for my camera.
By the time I took a picture it had moved several inches and turned a warm red color.  A few seconds later it went out.  I suspected that meant I wouldn't be able to finish baking my cake, so I ran it over to the neighbor's house.  I was right, because later when I dared to turn the oven on, the bottom element would not work. 

Trying not to despair, I went on Craigslist to try to find a cheap replacement oven, but none of them were very cheap.  Then I thought maybe I could just replace that part.  I wasn't sure, because the oven is even older than my last dishwasher, but I figured it was worth a try.  I found the model number on the oven and looked it up at the Sear's website.  From there I found the part number I needed.  If I'd bought it from them it would have cost over $40, but I typed the part number into a Google search and got my part for $29 shipped.

Steven helped me remove the old coil and we found out that it had melted!
Replacing it with the new one wasn't as easy as plugging in a burner on the stove top, but it wasn't too hard, either.  It made me feel all empowered and handy to fix it.

It's so nice to have an oven again!

6 comments:

Jackson Family said...

way to go empowered handywoman you!

sarah said...

Sandi, did you say something disparaging in front of your oven? You know, appliances, houses, and cars will rebel when they know you are trying to get rid of them. I think you have bad kitchen karma. I should have known from the toaster oven at Grandpa Henle's house...

Sandi said...

I think it's more of a sinister plot by Mom to give me her old stuff so she can buy new stuff, but she has secretly hexed the appliances. Remember the dishwasher? It only lasted 18 years, poor thing!

Anonymous said...

Ok, thought I taught you better than that. Sparks, fire, bad electrical noises, you run for the phone and 911, NOT THE CAMERA!!!!!
Hmmm. New stove for mom..... hmmmm

Heather said...

That's CRAZY....the same thing happened to us about 3 Christmas' ago in Kentucky. We had to cook our Christmas dinner in Dutch Ovens because it was a holiday and replacement parts had to wait a few days. Glad you got it fixed fofr so cheap! :)

Danica said...

I was at my sister's house when hers did that. It is kind of scarey!